1975 75 HP Model# 75543-B tilt tube replacement ?

Jeffman3

Cadet
I have a 1975 75 HP l Model # 75543-b. I know the motor has good compression and spark. (I hired out that testing)

The steering cable is froze solid in the tilt tube! (when I say froze solid, I mean SOLID!) I'm thinking about cutting the cable, disconnecting the control cables, and pulling the motor. If I'm going that far, I want to replace the tilt tube. ( I doubt I could get it cleaned up to an acceptable level! even if I could get it out.) I have yet to find a parts list for this job. (I don't know what If any thing I need except the tilt tube. Do I need any bushings, sleeves, bearings, etc..., I can't even find a line diagram of how it goes together? Yes I need a good manual, and parts book, I know this. I have yet to find one that says it has the info I need. I am reaching out for a life line on my project. I just don't know where to go from here.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Did you take the nut off of the end of the tilt tube that holds the steering cable.

Last edited:

Jeffman3

Cadet
Did you take the nut off of the end of the tilt tube that holds the steering cable.

I lessened it, and the tilt tube can be drifted out. I will pull the motor and see about doing it after I get the replacement parts.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove the tilt tube and steering cable from the motor.---Now grind and split the tilt tube.-----Install a replacement tube.----Using a hammer may mushroom the cable and may cause issues.