1987 Evinrude 70hp Spark ?

MTX

Cadet
Motor starts and idles fine. Carbs link'd and sync'd. No power at WOT. 8mph on 16ft ranger. With engine running pulled off lower plug wire, engine sputtered but runs reinstalled wire, engine back to normal. Pulled middle plug wire engine died. Reinstalled wire, started motor. Pulled upper plug wire, nothing, engine continues to run with no noticeable change. With upper wire pulled can hear noticeable sparking sound. I swapped plugs and wires to different cylinders the problem does not follow wires or plugs. I suspect a ignition problem. Any help troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Check to see if any spark from the plugwires is shorting to ground. Run the engine in the back yard at night. With the cowl off, look for spark flashes. If you pull a plug off while running and it makes no difference, then the plug has no spark, and that cyl is not contributing to helping run the engine. Weak ignition systems may spark a plug when it's pulled out of the powerhead and touches the block. But it may not fire when the engine is running under compression. Takes a lot more voltage to fire a plug under compression. You may want to do some ignition troubleshooting first. Check out the ignition troubleshooting guide for your exact engine
at this website: cdielectronics.com. Check out the cranking voltages requirements on the stator and timer base. The check to see if you have any voltage on the coil output pins.

MTX

Cadet
Thank you, the website is very helpful. I'll do some troubleshooting.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Why not start with an open air gap spark test on the engine. Set tester to 7/16". If it jumps that then revisit your top carb.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you swapped @ wires and plugs, I thinking, coil.
try swapping @ coils?
Joe
Take any advice I give with a can of beer er 2!

MTX

Cadet
Swapped coils, problem did not follow. Looking more like fuel issue. Any suggestions ?

MTX

Cadet
Sorry for ignorance, can you describe an open air gap spark check. I'll recheck compression. Checked a couple months ago but don't remember # but all cylinders were even.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
It's a tool that you hook a plug wire to aND then hook tool to ground. Turn key and observe spark. Set it to 7/16" I think you can rent one at many tool stores or buy one if your gonna work on your own stuff. It's just the single most used tool for an outboard guy. That and a compression gauge. Every motor gets checked every time there is a problem.

MTX

Cadet
Compression all within few lbs. of 120.

Will find spark tester and let you know results.

Thanks

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I bought this one from my local auto parts store, less than $10
orly_50850c.jpg

MTX

Cadet
Got spark tester and set to 7/16", had spark on all coils. I'm thinking it's time to pull carbs and overhaul all three. Any other suggestions before I do that ?