1960 10 HP Evinrude - Starting It Up

mp95

Cadet
I just purchased a 14 ft aluminum boat that came with a 1960 10 HP Evinrude Model 10020 - I am new to outboard motors and I have some questions. The motor itself starts up on the first shot each time and seems to be in real good condition. The previous owner had it tuned up last summer and the inside of the motor looks real clean and kept in good shape. It sounds ridiculous but I want to know the correct way to start it. I haven not touched it since I saw him start it for me about the 5 times I checked it out. I really wanted to make sure it was somewhat reliable on the cold start. It ran great each time he started it up. Could someone guide me here? I don't want to mess it up and would like to learn how to start it before I make any mistakes. I plan on running it with 24:1 mix as well. I can provide pictures or videos as well if needed. Thanks so much

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Cold motor: Set throttle at full advance in NEUTRAL. (In general, the labels on the tiller are inaccurate, and often useless.) Prime fuel bulb in fuel line. Pull out choke all the way. Pull starter cord. Should start within 1-3 pulls. If the motor does NOT start, reassess your procedure. Any more than three pulls with choke on and you are likely going to flood it.

Warm motor: Set throttle to full advance in NEUTRAL. Pull the starter cord.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Fairly straight forward.

1. Hook up fuel tank, and open vent.
2. Prime bulb 5 or 6 times until firm.
3. Pull out choke (if cold start. Would not be necessary if motor is warmed up)
4. Set tiller grip to START
5. Pull out recoil slowly, until you feel tension, then yank on it. There is always a bit of play the first bit, if you pull hard right away, youll break the rope.
6. Depending on conditions, push in choke when started. Sometimes right away, sometimes it needs a few seconds to run if really cold out.
7. Snap the shifter into gear, in a sure, quick movement. Don't easeeeeee it into gear, you will damage your gears and clutch dog.
8. Hold on and let er rip!