1969 85 hp Johnson electrical problems

iseultsdad

Recruit
Hi. I have a 1969 85 hp V4 Johnson that cuts out after about 45 mins of run time. It also has a miss when running at idle that disappears at speed. A local shop found it was undercharging but nothing else and suggested the stator. Another suggested the power pack. The Clymer manual says rectifier, voltage reg. and stator. Anyone able to help clear the air on this one? I'm new to OB repair, love Johnsons and don't want to have to replace this one. Thanks, I.D. :cool:

alcan

Commander
Re: 1969 85 hp Johnson electrical problems

Your motor uses a battery CD ignition system. This system requires a battery of the corect spec. and in good condition. The ignit.system gets it's power from the battery. The stator replentishes the batt. The stator or alternator suplies A.C. currant to the rectifier, the rectifier turns it to D.C. to charge the batt. Your motor may have an unregulated charging system or be regulated by a clipper circut. There were changes in this system during the years it was used. One thing to note is the wiring harnesses on a lot of these motors are in sorry condition now. Most look ok at a glance, but when probed or disturbed turn to green dust. Carefully inspect all wires. All connections must be clean and tight. Batt must be fully charged. Carefully inspect the rotor cap and rotor. Look for cracks test for leaks. If these parts are sound clean and reuse. They are not desposable as are most automotive caps and rotors. Clean and readjust the points, or replace also the anti reverse spring. The plug wires unscrew from the cap. It sounds as if you have been studing your manual. Good,Keep studing it and asking questions here,until you feel you have a pretty good understansing of this system. Then procede to test the componants of this system step by step according to your manual. This will be the fastest, most sure way to solve the problem. A lot of folks do not follow this advice thinking there is a short cut. They wind up chasing their tails, spending ton of money and never getting the results they desire. Just a guess here, but your low speed miss may be due to curd in your carb, or a low speed needle out of adjustment. We won't know for sure until we start getting test results. A lot of the guys seem to suffer from info overload using these after market manuals. I feel these folks are the short cutters. Read the book, try to make the info as liniar as you can, ignor the stuff that does not pertain to your motor, we will help if you get stuck.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 69 85hp evinrude. I just want to reiterate what Alcann (who I may add is a pro and I'm not) said about a casual glance at the wiring. After the first season of my use (2004) I took a real good look at the engine wiring. MANY of the existing wires had hardened insulation which upon touching crumbled in my fingers. These wires which looked "ok" during my initial "exited" stage of being it's new owner ended up being green broken crap. Thanks to the folks on this site I became completely paranoid over the fall and early winter and ended up rewiring many parts of my boat/motor out in the snow. :) Buy a real manual for that thing.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Oh ya also stay off e bay as there are'nt any rare parts that we both may need for our motors. :)

alcan

Commander

Thank you for the vote of confendence Alden. The truth is I am not a pro, nor have I ever claimed to be. I am just an enthuist/hobbiest and I try to pass along stuff that I have learned from my personal expirences, pro's and other enthuists on this board.

Bodi.dotson

Recruit
Did you ever solve this I have a 1969 v4 85hp johnson that cuts out after 45 min also and won't start for like 30 min or more

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you ever solve this I have a 1969 v4 85hp johnson that cuts out after 45 min also and won't start for like 30 min or more

Look at the Help Tip on top of the page and start your own topic. This one is ten years old and none of the posters are around anymore.