1972 Johnson 25R won't start

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was given this motor a few years ago. After replacing coils and condensers it ran like a new one. Couple of years ago it started misbehaving then one day kinda sputtered across the lake as if running on only one cylinder. When we got it home and tried new gas it wouldn't hit a lick. It fires and all electrical seems to check out fine. Today I took a brief look and immediately noticed TWO big cracks in the bypass/recirculation hose... I'm not a Johnnyrude man so don't know much about these. Just wondering if this could cause the motor not to run, not even to sputter or try to run? One end of the hose is VERY small bore and the other is near 1/4" or at least a whole lot bigger. Are these hoses available anywhere or do I have to go full McGyver and make my own?

fireman57

Captain
you can get it at your local dealer. If you are sure you have good spark make sure you are getting fuel. When was the last time you went through the carbs? The new fuel now gunks up pretty quickly if it sits.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
We pretty much do carb cleaning every day this time of year... all lawn equipment, boats, jet skis, etc. It's always sumpin'.