Carb Cleaning Question

bambooi

Recruit
Can I dip the whole carb into berryman's? I've read the top secret files and plan on buying a new kit and disassembling the the bowl. I am wondering if I can dip the whole upper part of the carburetor with linkages or do I have to remove the linkages after I remove the bottom portion/bowl. How long should I dip the caburetor? The engine is a 2001 Johnson 70HP. Thank you.

Question 2: How long to leave it inside berryman carb cleaner dip tray?

Last edited:

James R

Commander
Dont know the berrymans product. I use and have used Gunk carb and parts cleaner for years with no apparent problems with plastics or epoxies. I soak for a half hour, inspect and soak some more if needed. Dont rely on just soaking. It may not loosen heavy deposits. Rise with fresh flowing water and blow dry with compressed air. Be careful with the air. Some carbs can be delicate. Shoot carb cleaner through the ways and jets you cant take out. If there is an idle tube to deal with you may need to carefully probe with a stiff wire or small needle. Do not force anything so as to not do damage. An LED pen light is useful to see through any tiny bores and the idle tube. Be sure you clean thoroughly as it is a pain to have to take it all down again.