Lower Unit Help

coalkracker

Seaman Apprentice
I've been preparing my 1954 seahorse 10 hp qd15 that I bought a few months ago to be taken out for my first time. I ran it twice and got it tuned in for idle, it runs great and appears to pump water very strong spitting out the back. Now today I wanted to change the lower unit oil so I went and bought some lucas marine to use and when I went to drain the old stuff out clear water came out. Now I'm very concerned. When I ran it I didn't engage the prop so I hope there is no damage done. Did maybe the gaskets shrink because of no oil and when I filled it the might "puff" back up?? It's holding the lube without any drips so far. Should I change the gasket? And if so maybe a quick step by step to help me out? This is my first boat motor so any help would be very useful. Thank you!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No way is it going to puff up. You are going to have to take it apart to replace the seals, so you might as well replace all of them. Put in a new water pump impeller also.
There is no way of knowing whether the water damaged it until you get in there and look. Kind of depends on how long the previous owner ran it that way. Forward gear thrust bearing and pinion bushing are first to go. And when they go, so do the gears.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These lower units are elegantly simple to work on.----Believe it or not they are assembled with precision made parts.----Therefor parts can be replaced without the need of shimming skills.-----Install a complete seal kit and do not overlook the o-ring on the shift rod.

coalkracker

Seaman Apprentice
Any recommendations on where to get the seals...I went to my local marina and tge guy told me he couldn't get them

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Nonsense, parts are available. The only seal that might be a bit difficult to find is the prop shaft seal, part number 302495. iboats has the rest of the seals in a seal kit (wrong prop shaft seal though). And I think they can get the prop shaft seal too. Give them a call.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed , many shops do not want to help folks with older motors.----No easy money to be made on DIY folks.

coalkracker

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help and the part number....I've never even seen the inside of one before....I guess I'll give it a whirl since I want this on the water asap