Evinrude 5HP Angler questions

Hi, I recently inherited an Evinrude 5HP Angler model # 5702A, which I believe is 1967? (Please someone correct me if I am wrong). I read that it was an amalgamation of a 6hp upper end and 4hp lower end. I read that it was quite a well constructed engine that had been detuned to 5hp from the original 6; Is it possible to revert it back to 6HP?
Also, is there anywhere I can download a user manual for it? I'd like to give it a complete going over to make sure I can trust it and that I understand how to use it before heading out. Appreciate any and all info you guys can provide on this little creature. It will be used on my new 12' Crestliner CRV1257 until I can afford a modern 4 stroke.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Get it running right and use it as is, don't bother trying to mix and match parts to possibly gain 1 hp.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You can get an owner's manual here at iboats. The chief difference between the 5 and 6 powerheads was the 5 has a very restricted carburetor--I suspect it is the 3hp carb body (??). They also left the thermostat out of the 5 to save a buck, then sold a thermostat kit at extra cost to put it back. Smart. Guard that propeller with your life, they are rare as chicken fangs. Speaking of propeller, you probably won't see much difference in performance if you do convert it to 6hp. You are stuck with the 5hp prop and lower unit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When one of those motors is running properly you will not want a complex 4 stroke with all the plastic on them.----Check spark on it as it must be able to jump 5/16" or more.-----Failed ignition coils is common on them.

Good point Ondarv. Was running a year or two ago when it was put away however I tried to start it today with no luck. Will have to try it with fresh gas tomorrow if I can get a fitting for the new tank to hose connection and confirm spark then go from there. Thanks F_R and Racerone, good to know about the coils and especially the props. I will try to find the manual here.

Well, got the new tank hooked up, confirmed fuel was there. pulled the spark plugs and there is zero spark not even a bit. I even put a drill with socket on the flywheel and cranked away, got no spark still. :crushed: Removed the flywheel, points looked good, but I cleaned them anyways. Both the coils coating was all cracked off so I'm suspecting they are the culprit and are shot. I doubt I can walk into my local boat place here in Nova Scotia and ask for a set of coils for a 1967 Evinrude Angler.... So does anyone know where can I get new ones, preferably in Canada as the exchange, shipping and duty from US is unreal right now? Are there other motors with swappable coils that might be easier to find here? I suppose I should change condensers as well?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, this is such a common problem that most repair shops have those coils on hand.-----Or run to your local NAPA auto parts dealer as they can get them , cheap too.-----Those coils were used from about 1950 to the late 1980's---Most shops have them on hand !

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Normally, I wouldn't say this or send somebody to an iboats competitor, but since you are in Canada I'll make an exception. NAPA sells Sierra Marine parts. Nuff said. Besides, if your local store is like ours, they won't have it in stock and will charge you shipping to order it. Now the rest of you guys here in US, support this free forum with your business---please.

Thanks, I did check out iboats, but it only shows the 5802 models which I assume are the same, however it says the coils are unavailable.

Thanks all! Called this morning, NAPA here in Canada doesn't carry them, or anything other than car parts, for that matter.
I tried a local boat store and they could order me Kimpex aftermarket coils for $40 but couldn't get condenser, so I tried a shop in the city and they have OEM coils and condenser/point kit....in stock AND cheaper than the aftermarket at the other place. With taxes, its going to cost me $140 for two coils and new condenser/points. More than I wanted to spend, but the motor was free. I also have a line on an identical running motor for $200-225ish which is just now getting the impeller replaced. If it is in as nice a shape as the owner says, I think I will pick it up. Hmmm, tandem 5hp on my 12' aluminum.... :lol:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not all stores / shops operate the same way.-----My local auto supply place orders the marine parts in for me.---Your local NAPA store manager may not even know that he can order in the Sierra line of marine parts.

That's too funny Chief!
I picked up the parts this afternoon, came to $135 with tax for two OEM coils and a OEM condenser/point x2 kit. Hopefully get at it tomorrow. Wish I would have grabbed a carb kit while I was there for down the road, oh well, another day.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll let you know how things work out.

No Title

BTW, for a chuckle, here's what the old coils look like....

Attachments

• photo245046.JPG
    photo245046.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
Well, installed new coils, points, and new condensers. Set the points best I could tell. I have spark, but she will not start, not even a fart. I tried dumping a bit of fuel in the carbs and still nothing. Does anyone know of a very clear concise instructional to set the points in this thing? I basically turned the crank till highest lobe on point cam reached, set it to .020" then did the other one same way. Is that wrong? Wires on these coils are different than other ones black on top, green on bottom. Green is normally ground however the black wasn't long enough to reach the points with condenser wire so I assumed it goes under coil bolt and the green bottom wire went to points/condenser? Getting frustrated....HELP!!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Bottom wire goes to the points. Top wire goes to ground. Make sure you've got them going to the right set of points. Front coil fires the TOP cylinder. Also, new points aren't necessarily clean. May have packing residue, fingerprints, etc. Make sure they're CLEAN! Also, make sure plug wires are firmly seated in the coils and making good contact.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Coils are about $25 in Canada ... anything over is a rip off ....shop around they are common like dandelions make certain no wires rub anywhere

visit LEROYS rambling s site for lots of good info on adjusting ignition.

points set at .020 on the cam lobe high point should be fine...in my experience anyway

boatinfo.com may have books to read on line for your model

http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manuals/1956-1970johnsonevinrude.html

Last edited: