Evinrude 235 bogging out at WOT

hotrodjohn71

Cadet
I had some issues with my motor on the lake today and Im hoping I might get some advice before I take it into a shop.
The problem is bogging out and cutout at wide open throttle.
It has run well in the past. Its possible that today I didnt let it warm up enough at the dock before pulling out but I dont recall warmup being an issue in the past. I also noticed today that several times after stopping and shutting it down a while, it will start and idle fine, but seems to need a while to warm up before it will rev up enough to get on plane and will just cutout when throttled so I back it off the throttle and eventually after a few tries were cruising fine.
It will cruse around all day at 3000-3500 RPM's, but when I go wide open, it boggs out and sometimes just cuts out so I pull back on the throttle and its Okay again in the lower RPM's (3000-3500)
This bogging happens about 75% of the time when I go WOT. Its kind of like someone just turned a switch off. Not really like a miss fire issue, but like a cutout issue. I pull back on the throttle and were okay again. There were a couple times it went all out and ran without bogging out.
I have from my research what I believe to be a 1985 Evinrude 235 motor with 2.6 XP / GT Heads.
Block : (on freeze plug) 396045
Carbs: 395465
Power Pack: 582510
Heads: 325638 / 325639
Gearcase: 330259
The color of the motor looks like factory metallic blue.:
Compression is right around 115 with one cylinder as high as 120 and one as low as 106
I have the motor set up for premix 50:1 using Evinrude outboard oil running about 5 PSI fuel pressure off an electric pump.
From my notes when I worked on it a few years ago I wrote that it might have Wiseco pistons because of deep oil grooves, and it has 2 stage composite Boyesen reed valves.
I wrote that it has square ports also.
I run a nose cone low water pickup on the lower and at 3000 RPM it will produce about 10 PSI water pressure (on my gauge) from the water pump while also having a good telltale stream.
What do you think I can check before having to take it in?
Thanks, John

hotrodjohn71

Cadet
Hi Fatzbullet. I run a carter electric fuel pump that puts a good 5-6 psi (according to my fuel pressure gauge)
Is that enough fuel pressure?
Thanks, John

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Hi Fatzbullet. I run a carter electric fuel pump that puts a good 5-6 psi (according to my fuel pressure gauge)
Is that enough fuel pressure?
Thanks, John

What's the pressure at WOT when the engine is having issues? Meanwhile is all the fuel system in good shape?

hotrodjohn71

Cadet
Hi Jimmbo,
You have a good point. my fuel pressure gauge is attached to the engine so I cant see it when Im going WOT. The fuel system seems to be in good order and the lines are fairly new. I will check the gallons per hour on the pump.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you have any restriction upstream of the pump, high demand could cause the fuel to boil thereby vapour locking the line

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Check the fuel lines as have seen them nearly swollen shut internally from ethanol, also if it has grey fuel line the internal liner may have fallen apart.