Fuel only pump for 1990 Johnson 50 VRO

Cracked Hull

Recruit
Hi,

I have a 1990 Johnson 50 HP VJ50BELESR and it was previously converted by plugging the oil side and pre-mixing gas. Worked great for over 5 years like that, but now the fuel side of the pump is dead. I looked at the secret file in the hopes of figuring out what fuel pump to buy but it says "ask the forum" so here I am!

Does anyone know what pump I need? I assume its just a matter of pulling the old VRO out altogether and plugging a new pump in. (I hope) Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a spot on the side of the top cylinder port side , for a conventional pump.-------Find one for a 48 hp model ( year does not matter ) and install that.-----Take out the plug for the pulse port.----Plug the port used for pulses of the VRO pump.

rothfm

Ensign
438556 is a fuel pump that uses your existing pulse port. it screws right onto the block.

I use a piece of flexible fuel hose to make a semi circle with no sharp bends, and complete the routing for pump in/out.

Pretty simple and works real good

438559 is a pump that has 3 connections, u can mount anywhere and the pulse line can run to the pulse port onto a nipple/pulse limitwr type plug.

James R

Commander
You will need a 1/8NPT brass plug to plug the hole in the block after pulling the old pulse connector. Do not use PTFE tape as a sealant. Get a liquid thread sealant for use with gasoline. Permatex makes one. I remove the VROs on all the standard motors and fit the regular pumps for 50:1. Use the two port bolt on pump. Dont forget the thick gasket between the pump and the block and use stainless bolts to attach it.