90 Horse Johnson. Water coming from lower unit.

liltea06

Recruit
We picked our boat up last night and when we came home and started it in the driveway, we noticed water was pouring out the lower unit and out stream out the back was not as strong as it was last year, is this normal to have a lot of water coming out of where the lower unit meets the top? Thanks in advance!

liltea06

Recruit
we went out and took off the cover and found fuel leaking from a carb. This engine was rebuild last year, So furious right now. Waiting to hear back from the marine guy as I am a automotive tech not a boat tech.

rothfm

Ensign
Like link states, no issue...there are actually a couple holes where you'll see water coming out as well

I like to put a little gasket sealer around the lower unit's mating surface, for me it keeps exhaust streaks from running down my leg

rothfm

Ensign
Carbs may be another matter, some fuel dows puddle inside the silencer and usually gets sucked back if the check valve is working properly.

I wouldn't worry about a little fuel beneath carbs however, if it's a significant amount the needle valve could not set right, gaskets or warped plastic bowls

Lots of threads on that

liltea06

Recruit
We just wanted to make sure it was normal this is our first boat and it has not been a pleasant time owning it. The boat did not run for 16 hours prior to finding the leak. We picked it up and ran it with muffs for 15 minutes and shut it down. Last year it did not run well, and it did not leak from the lower unit. Guess I will wait to hear back from the shop.

liltea06

Recruit
Also the fuel was running off the bottom of one of the carbs, a constant drip.