Evinrude 4 gallon cruise a day gas tank refurb.

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am putting new gaskets and washers on my 2 line gas can and the diaphragm looks kind of dried out, id like to replace it, but I cant see any way to remove those two support plates, they look permanently made together with the pushbutton attached. does anyone know how to replace this?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A new one comes with the supports already riveted on. Well I should say they used to. That design has been changed, and the newer style parts are available in a kit. It will take me awhile to find the part numbers, unless somebody beats me to it.

Oops, hold on----"with the push button attached"?? Now you lost me. Let's start over. Is the push button metal or plastic?

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some of the tanks have the diaphragm plates molded into the rubber...you may have that style. Here is a website to buy refurb kits from (there are other places too) that shows diagrams. See early style where the metal plates unscrew to separate...and later style where the metal plates are molded as part of the diaphragm.
http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcmovers.html#tanks

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the pushbutton is black plastic, and its stuck to the diaphragm. I see a kit on ebay with two supports and a new pushbutton but mine has only one support, the top one may have rusted away, as there was a lot of rusty power around the pushbutton

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
​jb, thanks, It looks like I have one of the last two, the pushbutton may be stuck on the diaphragm, or riveted to the bottom support

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok,it was stuck, and I now see how it works. I must have spent $200 on parts I didn't need, but at least I learned something about these motors. And I can always put the extra parts on ebay and recover some of that money.