81 Johnson J90TLCIM issues

Jademountain

Cadet
Simple question with a hard awnser. I have a 1981 90HP J90TLCIM motor, Item #41 in the cylinder & crankcase parts manual call for the filler block for the 115HP and 140HP only, in the service manual I can not find a reference to it at all is it required in the 90HP?

interalian

Commander
My '82 90 had them. I've heard they usually don't go in a 90 but are worth having if you do.

Jademountain

Cadet
I heard the same thing from a old Johnson mechanic today, He said that motor did not use them. whomever put them in had done so with silicone which dissolved and created quite a mess. I also understand that they need to be machined by a machine shop which these obviously were not.

interalian

Commander
The originals are rubber and are held in place by the reed cages - no need for sealant. I used a couple of dabs of 3M 847 just to keep them from falling off while I finagled the intake manifold back on.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
These rubber intake filler blocks added to the performance of the engine. Early crossflow 115's and 140's used these blocks. They were good for 3-5 hp. Never put in the 90 at the factory, but no reason they could not be added to a 90 for a couple of extra hp. Make sure you get the right filler blocks. OMC made one part number for the V4 engines and a very similar one for the V6 engines. Not interchangeable. I put them in all my crossflows. No sealant required.

interalian

Commander
Never say never. My '82 90 had them - I was very surprised to see them too.

I have 4 extras if anybody wants them.