1999 90HP Johnson Major Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

larson_boat

Cadet
I consider myself an above average DIY mechanic but this outboard is driving me nuts! Got the boat this Spring knowing it had not been started or used since last summer but price good to me since it had only 140 hours and 120 psi on all four cylinders and figured to be an easy fix. Started out draining all the fuel and changing filter and flushing out all lines and boat started but tach was running backwards. Replaced the regulator/rec with the CDI model and then boat ran for a short time and lost fire. Not having a DVA meter I replaced the power pack and boat started up again and then lost fire. Purchased a DVA meter and seen 150v at the coils but no spark so replaced coils with CDI and boat ran a short time and lost fire again at the coils. CDI replaced the coils and boat started again but could never get on plain and then boat would start to run rough and then just hit and die. I have been through the carbs and they are perfectly clean. I have inspected the VRO fuel pump and all the diaphragms are fine and it will suck the primer bulb down if I plug the fuel line and all the carb bowls are full of fuel. I have went through the CDI trouble shooting guide several times since I now have a DVA meter and I can't seem to get this boat to run regardless of what I throw at it. Last night it would run for a few seconds and smoke really bad and then start again for a short time and smoke really bad and then finally it would not even hit and that is when I threw in the towel for the night and started drinking. It just seems like a fuel or spark issue but I had spark the entire time. I also removed the flywheel to check the stator and it was clear someone was in there before because there was a new CDI stator already installed and it bench tests good as well when compared to a new one. I am running out of idea here and just hope that someone smarter than me might have an idea of what I am missing.

Thanks,

Patrick
1996 Stingray 729zp 5.7l/Bravo3
1992 Proline 210wa 200hp Yamaha
1999 Hydra-Sports 90hp Johnson that will not run!

larson_boat

Cadet
That is the only thing I have not tried. It had an interstate in it that seems to crank strong.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
batteries can be funny....especially with an intermittent bad cell...check all connections

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Need a model # is it a looper or a crossflow do you have the OIS ignition in there

larson_boat

Cadet
Model is a J90pleeb with the OIS ignition. Last night I put another set of new CDI coils on and it fired right up and ran perfect. This is now the 3rd set of CDI coils and I am wondering just how long these will last. The folks at CDI have been very helpful and told me that some boats for some reason or another do not like their coils so I must have one of them. Anyone have an idea as to why these coils keep going out in only a few minutes of run time? Everything is new from the stator back to the coils.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Try the NGK equivalent plug otherwise buy OEM Coils. Have you updated the OIS sensor

Last edited:

larson_boat

Cadet
The only thing that has not been changed in the flywheel sensor. CDI is replacing the other set of coils and if this third set goes they also recommend going back OEM.

larson_boat

Cadet
The only thing I have not changed is the sensor. CDI is replacing the last set of coils that went and also recommended going back OEM if their continue to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.