89 Seadrive - Fuel leaking from intake cover

seabird89

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also, the last time I had the boat in the water, I had to pump the ball to keep the engine running at WOT.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The leak is no doubt from the carbs. Possible that the floats are not working properly in the carb bowls, causing an overflow out the front of the carbs when the fuel hose bulb is primed. You will be able to see it when you pull the airbox cover off. The needle and seats may be worn, or the floats may be stuck open due to debris inside the carbs. Think I'd plan on overhauling he carbs.

seabird89

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, I am definitely a novice at this stuff and although I have done maybe a handful of carb rebuilds for mowers and such, they have always intimidated me. When you say overhauling the carbs, should I purchase full rebuild kits, or just needles and seats and whatever else I find that looks bad?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When you purchase a factory carb rebuild kit (for just one carb) it comes with everything: gaskets, float, needle/seat, casting hole covers, etc.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you had to pump the primer to keep it running you may have a fuel pump going bad.

seabird89

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you had to pump the primer to keep it running you may have a fuel pump going bad.
Well, not to keep it running, but to keep it running at WOT. If I did not pump the primer then the RPMS would drop, but it wouldn't die or anything. But I will definitely keep that in mind once I trace down this leak.

seabird89

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I took the cover off and eyeballed the leak(s). 3 out of the 4 carbs were leaking, but the worst leak was on the bottom left. They all seem to leak around the top of the bowl, so I guess the bowl gasket isn't sealing.

On one carb the screw plug for the high-speed jet was loose.

The carb that was leaking the worst was leaking fuel from the Idle Air Bleed Orifice.

I have to confess that I rebuilt these carbs about 10 years ago and only used the boat a few times after that and then it sat for 8 years.

I probably did not do things correctly which is probably why they are leaking.

I can rebuild them again, but how do I get the bowl gaskets to seal correctly? Also, on all of my carb rebuilds I have had problems with those carb body spaghetti seals, they always seem to stretch out and won't fit in the groove properly. Any tips or advice to avoid this problem?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Your engine may be in the 2-year sequence where OMC changed the crossflow carb bowls from aluminum to plastic. That was a fatal engineering mistake on their part. Those plastic bowls will always warp with age, leaking as you have noted. If yours are plastic, you need to replace them. Reorder the original part number bowl from Bombardier and they will send you the replacement aluminum bowl. It's a big deal, expense wise, but the only resolution. FYI: One of the jet thread sizes in the replacement bowls won't accept one of the jets from the original plastic bowls. You will have to deal with getting the correct jet thread size and matching orfice size before reassembly. I know the mains get reused, perhaps it's the mid jet which changes the thread size....I forget.

seabird89

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Actually, I remember reading about that problem years ago. I am not looking at the carb right now, but I can tell you that the entire carb assembly is black including the bowl and I am pretty sure it is plastic (unless they painted the aluminum bowl black).

Looking at Crowley, it appears that the bowl is no longer available (Part # 0398701) - so what are my options? Is this something that Permatex or a similar product could fix?

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/ON111478.cfm?mdl=HGZBC7

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Yes, the factory has discontinued that part number. Here is a U.S. based dealer that has 10 brand new bowls still in stock: Give him a call and see if these are the aluminum bowls or not. If they are the plastic one, forget it. Don't go trying to patch these bowls-leaking fuel needs the absolute best solution-not permatex.
SOMERS POINT MARINA830 BAY AVESOMERS POINTNJ08244609-927-5900chris@somerspointmarina.com039870110

seabird89

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mine is a looper, and from what I have read they did not make an aluminum bowl for those. I guess I will try sanding the bowls..