Thermostat relief valves ('85 70hp Johnson J70ELCOS)

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am just putting the finishing touches on a major service, but I decided to go a little bit further and attempt to break-up the salt crystals that must have built up in the water-jackets etc over the years the engine was plying the salt-chuck. I am satisfied I have removed a lot of quite frankly enormous chunks and expect the cooling system to perform much better as a result.

However, I am considering simply re-using the thermostat relief valves, springs and grommets (101, 78 & 23 here) which were removed of course, as they are actually still in quite good condition with the grommets softish and only slightly flattened -- plus the springs look very good. I should mention that the thermostat and gasket(s) have indeed been replaced. Anybody else had something come back to bite them on the arse after doing such a thing? It is not a huge $ savings to re-use those valves but I am a bit pushed for time more than anything. I simply forgot to order new ones is all... Would it really matter if those valves leaked a little?

Cheers.

Last edited:

James R

Commander
Probably not. The motor will tend to run a little cooler and take a bit longer to warm up.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for the delay. I assumed I would get an email notification if somebody responded, but you know what they say about assumptions? However, I used the old valves for the trip but ordered a new set and have since installed them, mostly for peace of mind. The engine ran perfectly that day and the temps were well within spec, but I dislike taking chances and avoid them as much as possible. Thanks for the kind words.