98 Evinrude 50hp not cooling at idle

amishboy

Seaman
When I am at low or idle speed there is no water coming thru the hose and engine overheats. At higher speeds, water starts pumping out the hose and also through the rectangular exhaust outlet above the lower unit. I don't remember ever seeing water out of that exhaust port... Is this a pump going bad or possibly another simpler issue? The hose itself is not plugged.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
possible worn impeller, best start there as that needs replacing every two years anyhow

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Yep, new impeller. Inspect water pump housing and base plate, if signs of wear or melting from heat replace as well

amishboy

Seaman
That sounds simple enough, thanks. Maybe a whole impeller kit to be safe? Another issue is the Vin/Model tag is worn off this motor. I have a number off the disc on top of the motor G4421432, but no idea the model number. Any ideas?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
When you take the old one out you might find some numbers on the housing. A whole new kit is a good idea if you have the extra dollars

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Not knowing when the last time mine was changed, i bought the whole kit with the top housing included. I think it was the factory original from 1977, it still looked in good shape but plastic becomes brittle with age,

I would get the kit with the new housing so the next time you change the impeller, you won't have to wonder how old everything is :)