1992 Johnson 25 hp fuel starvation

ballsout

Cadet
I have a 92 Johnson 25 hp motor that I have been working on. I got it in and it had been bogging down when accelerating. Motor fires up easily, idles fairly well and goes slowly with no issues. The problem is when trying to accelerate to get on plane it will rev up for a few seconds and just suddenly cut out and sometimes will surge and jerk and other times will stall out. It is for sure a fuel starvation issue. The carb was rebuilt and is for sure spotless, tank and line has been swapped for one that is known to be good and makes no difference. Fuel pump has been replaced. My next step is going to be replacing all the small lines from the carb/primer. Anything else I should be looking at? The one thing that worries me is the fitting on the front of the bowl of the carb seems to have somehow been lost or broken sometime before I got the motor. It is currently a small plastic pipe that is threaded into the bowl. Would sucking a small amount of air from any of the small line connections cause these symptoms?

ballsout

Cadet
You say it is fuel related. But have you checked compression and for good spark just to rule them out?
compression is good and even at 114 and 116. Also spark is good. The motor for sure is starving for fuel. Has anyone ever ran into this issue because of the actual primer on the engine? I may isolate that next to see it that makes a difference.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The primer could only allow too much fuel into the motor.----Have you checked for an overheating issue ?

ballsout

Cadet
Motor is spitting water nicely out the **** hole and since it is doing it right after the motor is started it leads me to believe it would not be an overheating issue. How would I check for the thermostat working correctly? I only know to check the pee stream.