bypassing johnson manual primer

cowboy18

Cadet
my 1987 25hp johnson has a manual primer u pull out to inject fuel into the carb but if i move it she will leak in the case and the c clip will fly off somewhere....

so is there any way i can bypass this primer for the time being?i have another electric choke bowl and i was just gonna swap out the bowls and do away with any primer all together.

there is a nipple coming off the intake right below and to the left of the carb (while looking directly at carb) can i route that small tube to the top of the carb so it just cycles back thru the intake?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Just cap off the hoses it will be very hard to start why not rebuild or replace it. What do you mean you have a choke bowl, the choke is built into the carb not the bowl.

cowboy18

Cadet
mine has a push pull primer system the other bowl which im only gonna use the drain screw to replace bottom nipple fitting has a bracket for electric choke. i never use the primer system the boat cranks first time every time. the housing leaks on the primer itself so im just gonna do away with it

James R

Commander
You can do away with it but as said if the idle mixture is set correctly it could be hard to start. The alternatives are as said fit an electric primer or replace the manual primer. I would do the latter.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Once again how are you going to use a choke when your carb does not have a choke butterfly. Just take the nipple out of the float bowl and cap it with a brass screw. No need to replace the bowl.

cowboy18

Cadet
UPdate bypassed primer system runs better then ever looks like the valve was leaking internally or not closing all the way