Johnson J60TTLENE. Tilt/Trim and starter slipping again.

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys. Not sure if this is the proper way to bring a post back to life but the problems are acting up again. Cleaned every connection from the batteries to the motor with a wire brush, sprayed batter corrosion protection on it and everything seemed fine in the driveway. Brought it on the water today and the same issues re-appeared. Starter spinning (while not engaging)and tilt/trim stuck. When I got out there, I turned the key and the starter spun a few time without igniting the fly wheel but then kicked in after a few tries. Got it started and tried to trim it down then up and it got stuck up. Had to shut her down and bring it back in. Frustrating.
When I posted these issues a week ago, the advice was to clean all connections really well. It didn't seem to resolve my problems although they needed to be cleaned anyway, thanks for that.
What's my next trouble shooting step?
Thanks, Chris

Assuming that the battery is holding good amperage, it seems like there is a bad electrical connection so cleaning all connectors would be the first step. This includes all wires going to the tilt trim, to the starter, starter solenoid, behind the trim tilt switch and behind the key. When raising the gear on the starter, does it make a good teeth connection? If starter makes a good connection and all terminals/connector have been cleaned, you may need to clean starter internally. Because you are having multiple electrical issues in a short period, I do see why you would have been advised to clean all connections. There are so many connectors sometimes we miss the needed ones. Before going through all the terminals and connectors again, I would recommend turning the ignition key back and forth multiple times (with battery disconnected) and pushing up and down on the tilt trim multiple times to possibly clean the contacts behind the key and the power tilt trim button. Do this while SLIGHTLY shaking the ignition key and the tilt trim switch. The goal is to create a clean contact area behind both the ignition and the tilt trim button. Plug the battery back up and if it works, that's the issue. It's definitely a weak circuit somewhere. There are some good mechanics on here and I'm sure someone will be able to chime in an pin point it for you. Hope this helps.

Also if you have had issues with batteries dieing, Then something may be pulling current and robbing you of power to the tilt trim and starter.

James R

Commander
One thing at a time. Sounds like more than one fault, Lets eliminate the starter solenoid to start with. Leave the battery connected and use a jumper cable from the positive on .the battery to the starter motor positive If the starter motor works correctly the solenoid or connections are suspect. Eliminate the relay system as the problem for the tilt trim. Disconnect the. T/T motor by disconnecting the connector. Use a pair of wires with crimp connectors and connect a battery to the T/T motor . By reversing the wires you can check the the motor and hydraulic up/down capability If all is well here it is probably power to or the relay unit.

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys. I'll try everything suggested and post back.