1987 110 evinrude engine controls

PAULWI

Cadet
I am sending some pictures of the controls for shifting and speed. The Seloc manual is very lacking on description of the timing of engine. I have changed some parts in the ignition, overhauled the carbs and want to make sure everything is correct. Book calls for measuring 12 degrees before TDC and go rotate engine counter clock wise to 12 degrees measure distance between the 2. Couldn't I just measure TDC with dial indicator at very top of stroke and set pointer there. I have an inductive timing light to determine timing advance. Can someone help with the set of the speed controls adjustments and let me know where they should be set.

Attachments

• photo244080.jpg
    photo244080.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244080.jpg
    photo244080.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244081.jpg
    photo244081.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244082.jpg
    photo244082.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The max timing needs to be set with the engine running. You can't set it while idling. The problem with the timing on this engine is that as the rpm's increase, the voltage changes and the timing advances internally to the the ignition system. The factory manuals will indicate that the engine needs to be in gear and running at 5000 rpm's in order to set the timing. Most of us don't have a safe way to set this timing at that high rpm. There is an alternative. If you go up to the top thread on page one of this webpage-look for the "top secret" files. Open them up and there is a nice explanation of how to set the max timing when idling. It's not perfect, but is acceptable and won't damage your engine.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Unless you replaced the timer base or moved the max advance screw no need to touch. The method Evinrude wants you to use involves a piston stop and is much more accurate than a dial indicator.

PAULWI

Cadet
I did in fact replace the timer base, followed the procedure as called in the article. The book indicated timing 27 to 29 degrees I was reading 23 degrees so left where it was at. Sure don't want to damage pistons. I am using a inductive pickup to measure the rpm to set idle speed will have to take to lake for checking top end speed. Will let you know how things work out.