Carbuetor cleaning on a 1987 Evinrude SPL V-4 88 Horsepower outhboard.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello again,<br /><br />I have a question. I am going to replace the water pump and after looking at my new Seloc manual took the cover off the motor and see what I need to do to remove the shift linkage. Looks like I will have to remove both carbuetors to get to this. Now since I am removing the carbs I might as well clean them out. Do I need to rebuild them or can I JUST TAKE THEM apart clean them out and replace just the o-rings and gaskets. I don't want to goof them up. I am hoping that all I have to do is remove take them apart and clean them and put them back together. The motor ran good last year, don't want to screw up the orifices, little paranoid about messing with the carbs. I want my boat to run. Also if I do this will I have to adjust or will be alright? Thanks again I have a 1987 Evinrude SPL 88 Horsepower V-4 outboard motor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carbuetor cleaning on a 1987 Evinrude SPL V-4 88 Horsepower outhboard.

no need to remove the carbs. re read the manual and post the section on carb removal to dissconnect the shift link.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not trying to bust chops just trying to get you to properly interpet the manual. what manual did ya get and wecan try to help.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a Seloc manual with a number 1308 on the top right corner of the cover page, and it is for 1973-91 Repair manual Johnson/Evinrude 60thru235 hp 3 cylinder V-4 and V-6, 2 stroke models. Any help on that shift linkage will be appreciated. I was looking at it and looks to be under the lower carbeutor and recessed back from that carbeutor. Besides that the lower unit looks easy to remove, just confused on that shift linkage removal. The shift rod looks to be a quarter of an inch in diamater approximately and looks to have two pieces of metal with a bolt going through it. If it is it looks extremely hard to get to no room to work with. The motors model number is: E88MSLCER and serial number is: R08158562 Evinrude outboard V-4 SPL 88 horsepower. Any good pictures or suggestions on that shift linkage removal would be appreciated. Thanks again.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sure<br /> no worries.<br />on the mid eighties crossflow v4 there were two common shift connects. one is a small screw laid in a horizontal plane its a 3/8ths hex that points to the stbd side. the other more common is a clevis pin just stbd and below the lower carb. if yours has the clevis or"hair pin" clip remove it and push the shift lever to port. its easier if the cable nut is removed so you dont fight the cable. when its free the lever will flop very easy.post us back as you need more help. I do have some tricks on doing the pump r and r.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Proper cleaning of the carbs requires that they be disassembled, all passages thoroughly cleaned with any good carb cleaner, blown out with air, and then new kits installed. Do not reuse the old parts and gaskets.

ledgefinder

Ensign

You've got the one with the "hair pin" clip. Very easy to disconnect the shift linkage without pulling the carbs. <br /><br />MAYBE makes up for some of the pain-in-the-gas it is to change thermostats on those motors... :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahahah<br /> the 88 is simple. the bubble back 110,115 and 140s are the pains :) :)

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello again,<br /><br />This pin is on the right side of the motor behind the carbs. I am not sure what port or starbaoard is. I think starboard is right and port is left not sure. Is the pin look like what they use to hold the hoods down on a dirt track racecar, like quik pull pins.

tabbott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Port is left as facing the engine. The pin would be as you described except smaller. <br />Tim

tabbott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess everyone else gave up on you Big Bubba. I hope my meager info is of some assistance.<br />Tim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

:) <br /> you found the pin. pull it and duck :) <br />like I say its easier if you also remove the nut and washer that hold the cable to the lever.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I got this right I remove the small nut and washer that hold the cable onto the lever. Then pull the pin which is about 1 and a half inches long and it should flop over. The Seloc manual is not clear about this shift rod disconnection. It only shows a picture which is very hard to interpret. I would like if someone could send me some pictures or illustration out of a manual so I am understanding what you are saying. If I can see it from your standpoint would clear up alot of confusion. Thank you again.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

BTW, the serial number you gave,(E88MSLCER), shows the engine as being a 1989 not 1987.<br />Now ya got a newer motor...cool huh? ;) <br /><br />Dave

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

remove the nut and cable,remove the pin<br /> push in on the lever. that means move the lever towards the port side. wiggle it while you push. you will feel it when it releases. all of a sudden the lever will get sloppy :) . then you have to remove the trim tab, under the tab is a 9/16ths headed bolt. just forward of it remove the 5/8ths headed bolt. remove the 4,2 on each side, 9/16ths headed bolts. now you can drop the unit. if the drive shaft oring is missing use a flashlight and try to locate it in the shaft tube area. the exhaust pipe may or may not fall out. the pipe seals may or may not be reusable. if they are dry and crusty buy new ones, purchase the entire kit for the pump. trust me you will like it better that way. a tube of super weather strip adhesive is wonderful for reassmbly. you will need the double check the shift rod height. the universal gauge is nice but I use a yard stick:) about 1/2 the time and do just as well. get it off and apart and post us back :)

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O.K. got it. I will try it. Cool I got a newer motor never new it though thought the whole time it was an 1987 model. Now I have a few more questions? The shift rod height I need to measure this is not fixed when I put it back together? Where and why do I measure because the Seloc does not tell me I need to adjust the shift Rod, just install it and that is it. I am asking because this will be my first outboard motor repair job. That's why I want to make sure I am fully confident I can do this before I get myself into trouble. The next question I have is how hard is it to install that shift linkage wants the lower unit is back on?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

when ya get that far we can help there too. going back there is a lot going on at once and all of it has to line up. you may wish to have a good strong beer drinking buddy hold the case while you line up everything. I do them by myself but I have done maybe 2 or 3 :) .<br /> at the same time the following must stay in place and fit. the water pump tube must enter the guide on the pump, the exhaust pipe must fit in the recess on the case, the shift rod has to go into the shift tube,through the lower pan and enter under the carb. it will twist every time. use long needle nose pliers just under the lower cowl to rotate it back. the offset faces fwd and to port if its offset left right as well as fwd. and about the time the shift rod pokes through turn the flywheel in a clockwise direction to align the crank shaft to drive shaft splines. some place in the appendices that seloc has the rod specs.<br /> the rod is threaded in the shift block and is adjusted by rottating upor down. most times if you dont mess with it it will be close but it still must be checked when reassembling.and if all else fails you can still getthe dealer to reassemble it :) <br /> its not hard but maybe you should have the clymer or factory manual.<br />I dont know if I have a seloc for that year

reeldutch

Lieutenant

its not that hard.<br />make shure when you hold the lu you can turn the flywheel.<br />put some gearcase oil on the watertube to slide the tube in the pump smoother.<br />also i lube the impeller with some gearcase lube for som sliding. do not use grease it will end up blocking passages<br />make shure you do not turn the shift shaft i always ductape the shaft after i drop the lu.<br />put some grease on the splines not on top of the driveshaft only the sides.<br />i sand the driveshaft and give it a coat of paint i hate to see that shaft rusted.<br />if you have a buddy around it will go easyer i admit but it is possible by yourself.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O.K. The shift rod sounds like it might be easy, I will do as you have suggested. Now the shift rod measurement means to measure from the top of the lower unit casing, flat surface, where the rod threads into the shift block, up to the center hole upper shift rod. Do you know the measurement of this for my model number. Again I take the measurement from the flat surface of the top of the lower unit to the center hole of the upper shift rod? Is that right?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Bubba - When you get this service completed and you have that "Damn I did good" feeling and you decide to keep doing your own work - - Do yourself a favor & get the OMC shop & parts manuals specific for your motor. You will pay for them in your next repair in less headaches alone.