67' Evinrude 6hp Fisherman - Wont start. Help with diagnosis...rebuild?

Calmedbywater73

Recruit
Please help! I know these are common questions, but I'm a first timer taking apart a small engine. I just found a '67 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman (Model 6702D) at a property I bought and would like to get it running for my 11yr old son. It will only turn over with the help of starting fluid, and dies after that burns off. Any help with the following diagnosis and part #'s would be great. I've ordered the manuals but would like to get going sooner than they arrive!

New Plugs - Champion J6C is what I have found, but there are J8C's in it already. Should I stick with the J6C?
Carb kit - going to take this one apart and clean...anyone have part #s for new one?
Points - dont know much about these but they look like they need to be changed...part #?
Water pump, impeller - likely bad as well - part #?

Can you get these parts at an auto supply store, or do they need to be ordered online?

From what I can tell based on boat registration, its been sitting at least 5 yrs - thanks for help to bring it back to life! Any other thoughts would be helpful too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Those parts are all available right here at iboats, provider of this forum. Don't be running off to some other durn place.

When you take the carburetor apart, pay particular attention to the high speed jet (orifice plug). It is in the very bottom of the float bowl where it collects all the crud. It must be absolutely, positively squeaky CLEAN without a trace of any varnish. If not, it will cause the symptoms you describe. It is a precision part, so don't be jamming wires or drills etc through it.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Yes J6C are the recommended plugs ( J8C are a bit hotter ). They should be gapped at 0.030"

If it fires and runs briefly on starting fluid probably you have a fuel/carb problem but a weak spark due to defective ignition components cannot be entirely ruled out.

Check the sparks with a spark tester. Inspect the condition of the coils and points if not good

If sparks are good ( able to jump about 1/4" ) and plugs are good check the compressions .

if compressions are good 80(??)or more and within 10% of each other then start looking at the carb. Meaning a through clean and rebuild.

There is a topic on the Engine FAQs board about replacing coils and points. There is also a topic on "Awakening a sleeping outboard" read both of these.

There is a manual on line which covers the engine at http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manuals/1956-1970johnsonevinrude.html#/0

Many of the parts should be available from iBoats but there are other on line sources which the i boats forum software will block any links to.

Dont forget to replace the water pump impeller at some stage before you start using the engine.

BUT please do not keep using starting fluid. It contains no oil and is bad for two stroke engines. Spray a little 50:1 2 stroke mix into the carb instead

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
simple motor simple pump simple carb.... seems to be fuel starved

I would start with the carb clean fuel lines, pump , tank fuel pick up etc... to do with the whole fuel route into the engine

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...Johnson 3 HP 1952-1967 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

follow the 3hp carb tune up almost the same as your 6hp yours may have ONE needle and a bottom high speed jet but process is the same

check the fuel pump filter

the fat gasket at the bottom of the carb on the high speed channel is very important dont leave it out !

if ever you cant get it to idle you may.... need to clean 3 small drip holes under the dime size cap on top of the carb. one comes with the carb kits
but I would not take that apart on a first try.

lots of carb cleaner in all passages and blow dry ..

do not wash the float with carb cleaner if it is cork .. you can always sand it down a bit... and put 2 coats of crazy glue to seal it up ..and dont smell the stuff !!

Calmedbywater73

Recruit
Thanks everyone, this is exactly the type of info I needed to get started! Now just to find enough time to get to work...

Calmedbywater73

Recruit
Hi again everyone. We've been working on this '67 and Iboats didn't have the parts, had to get them out of a place in WA. Anyway, electrical system is good, took apart the entire carb and cleaned, replaced gaskets, floats and needles. Now it runs well and strong - however will not run at slow speed. Can't turn the throttle down to "shift" without it dying, and the low speed adjustment needle doesn't seem to be doing much at all. Any thoughts on something I may have missed?

Also should I expect water to come out of the outlet hole while its running in a garbage can, or does that only do so when actually running it in the lake at speed? Impeller looked great when I disassembled lower unit to check. Didn't see a need to replace the water pump with the new one I got, which is much smaller.

Thanks again for any help, it's much appreciated!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You need to replace the water pump, this is very important. If the new one doesn't look right check it out closer and get the right one.

If the low speed needle doesn't have much of an affect on how it runs then this portion of the card isn't clean.