1983 evinrude 70 hp stall when it is put in gear

jgc

Recruit
when I put in gear and give it gas it will stall out unless I push in choke. push choke and it takes off. I have replaced all fuel lines(from tank to carb), fuel pump, rebuilt and cleaned carbs, new plugs, cleaned out tank, fresh gas with sea foam ran thru it. runs perfect just that I have to choke to take off once it idles for awhile. any help would be appreciated. thanks john

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Yea and you can raise your neutral idle speed to 1000-1100rpms if you need to. Should be around 6-700rpms while in gear. If that dont do it you may have played out reed valves.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression test must be done.--And having to use choke clearly indicates something was missed in carburetor cleaning.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Admiral is definitely right, mine was doing something very similar, I thought had to be gas problem, finally did compression test, 0 pressure top cylinder. Changed head gasket, shaved head. I bought this motor used, and has never ran as good as it does now.

jgc

Recruit
thanks for the info. I already had adjusted my idle speed up, didn't help. I will try the compression test. would you know what pressure I should have for this model. thanks john

Lsxfbody

Recruit
I had the same issue on my 70hp and it was ignition issue, i thought carb problem atfirst but turned out it was only firing on 2 cyl unless it was reved up so check your plugs and see if all 3 are getting spark off idle just to rule out the simplest fix

jgc

Recruit
I did compression test 120 on all three. I did notice oil on plug and out side of plug. would that be sign of coil not working properly?

jgc

Recruit
forgot to mention I took plugs out. started motor with plugs still in wires, all three sparked the same, size and color.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If you ran sea foam in the tank after cleaning carbs, I would pull off the carbs again and clean them. Pull them apart and soak them, tops and bottoms, taking off each of the top plugs (idle passages). Spray out all passages with carb cleaner before reassembling.

May or may not have sufficient spark -- need to measure with an adjustable tester.