Johnson 15hp 2stroke 2006 fuel leak

gejuda

Recruit
Hello all. It is my first ever topic and post on this fantastic forum. I live in UK and i really like Johnson/Evinrude motors.
Here it goes. On 31 December 2015 i picked up Johnson 15hp 2stroke 2006 model which suffered overheat,and i mean overheat. All electrics got welded to the block,paint on cylinder head got black and thermostate and all plastic and rubber bits just melted. I got it really cheap and i wanted a project for winter. Engine was stripped to the last nut and bolt,rebored .020" over and i got powerhead rebuilt kit with gaskets bearings etc.,i also managed to get 2 brand new conrods. It took me long time to get it finished and was able to start it up last week sunday. My son and me went to the lake to try and run this motor in. It performed great all day. Than on way back to the launching place i've ran out of gas,so i refilled my tank and primed the motor. The bulb felt strange,it was not getting hard as usuall,but i pulled motor over and it started. We moved for a minute or so and motor lost power and died. I tried priming it,but bulb would not get firm and i spotted that fuel was leaking from the motor. I took the hood off but couldnt see where it was leaking from. I than took the breather box from front of carb,gave bulb a squize and saw that fuel was coming out of overflow hole on top of the carb. Even when trying to pull start i saw fuel pouring out. I took carb off thinking that needle or float must have stuck,but it all was ok,no dirt also. Carb kit was brand new,so float,needle and seat are new. Float set as per manual,at its lowest setting,and it felt that float was getting hung up when all the way down,but tried to test it by blowing in to the fuel intake pipe turning carb up side down and looked right. I put it together and installed it back on the motor and primed the bulb all was good again,bulb firm and no leak. Motor started right up and we went back.
Question is,what could have happend there? What should i check?
Sorry for so many words,just tried to explain what happened exactly.
Many thanks.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What do you mean it was set at it's lowest setting. Raise the float drop a little bit when it ran the float bowl empty, the float might have jammed down.

gejuda

Recruit
Hi. Thanks for quick reply. Float should be set for 1" to 1 3/8" drop. So mine is set at 1 3/8" and i thought it might have caused it to stick. Am i right? Can something else cause fuel to leak apart from stuck float,needle valve or seat?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The needle and seat could be bad from the kit. At 1 3/8 inches drop it's probably sitting on the bottom of the float bowl could be getting hung up.

Last edited:

gejuda

Recruit
Thanks. Is it often happens that brand new seat and needle are bad? Will adjust float on weekend and hopefully take it on the lake on Sunday. I am currently running it without fuel filter,only like a wire mesh on the inlet side of the fuel pump. Do you guys run your engine with fuel filters added or the one on the fuel pump is enough?