1969 Evinrude 40hp Lower Unit

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Hi yall. I ran into ANOTHER problem with my evinrude 40hp....The shifting yoke phillips bolt get stuck, so I drilled the head out. The drill slipped and the bit chew right threw the aluminum within 2 seconds. Rookie move. I could just get a new lower skeg, but I found a whole unit for 65$. He says it was on a 28hp, but fits hps. Take a look... the gears on the old one look great! No burning/blackening, no chipping. Looked well oiled.

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/bpo/5490943975.html

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The guy wasn't totally lying. The 28hp will fit SOME 40hp motors, but not yours.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
The guy wasn't totally lying. The 28hp will fit SOME 40hp motors, but not yours.

haha yup... The guy I boat this motor from said "BOLT ON AND TAKEOFF"....... B.O.A.T - Bust out another thousand...... First the waterpump, compression and then this!! But im sure when I have it done it will be a great little motor :)

lindy46

Captain
You may be able to find what you need by posting a free want-ad on AOMCI.org classifieds.

lindy46

Captain
The part number for 1968 is 382918, and part number for 1969 is 382920. So I'm not sure.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
You do not need the whole lower just the lower part that holds the screw. Since yours is in good shape stick with what you know. Also next time you take a tough one out use a hand impact to do the work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evin...VXAB1d&vxp=mtr

Remeber, I have to spend an additinal 100$ or so on the drivashaft bearings and all of the seals. So id prefer to buy just the whole unit.... I looked at both of the parts diagrams, and they are the same but that peice you metioned. I found this information though...

You Need The Empty Gearcase 0382920 You Might Consider Getting A Complete Gearcase For Less Cost. Verify That The Application Is Correct And See The Following Complete Gearcases 0382919 Or 0382921 . is equivalent to parts:

also found this information on marine engine

Evinrude Johnson OMC 0382921 : L/p 200.00 0382921 Complete With Propshaft As Shown (no Driveshaft Or Waterpump). This Is A Exceptional Bargain Where The Complete Gearcase Is Being Sold For Less That The Component Parts. The Specific Application Range Is 1960 Through 1970, 30 Hp, 33 Hp, 40 Hp, Is Also Fits Some Pre-1960 Models, 35 Hp And Maybe Others Wherever The Original Gear Case Housings Come Up. The 382919 And The 382921 Are Totally Interchangeable, They Include Exactly All The Same Internal Parts, It Is Only The Skeg Style That Is Slightly Different Which Does Not Impact The Performance. Key Components To The 382921 Are As Follows: 322605 Pinion Gear 381810 Gear & Bshg, Fwd 312869 Gear, Reverse 312867 Prop Shaft 312866 Shifter Also Includes 313284 Oil Seal 378578 Bearing Assembly is equivalent to parts:
SO im assuming it should work...but correct me if im wroung...

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
The difference may well be in how the waterpump tubing is arranged !

Ok, thats a posibilidy. But it looks like the same setup, Im going to order it, and if it doesnt fit il just use the parts in that to rebuild the one I have,

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Water inlet tube was changed in '68 and again in '69. But all will interchange if you use the matching tubes (and pump housing).

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Another question....With these motors where is the water intake located? It is the mesh screen on thing (exsaust?) that sticks out of the lower unit? Also like racerone said, the watertube are probably just diffrent, will I just have to bend them up, or get new ones?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
OK guys....Ive got a little further in my adventure with this 69' Evinrude.....I can confirm that it is getting water, but it is not coming out...I put the new pump and l.u on today, started it up and ran it. It stayed cool, but no water.... I took out the termostat and left the cover open, when I cranked it I could see some water shooting up.vSo water is getting up there. Its just not comign out the top. I shot water down the thermostat spot and it came out the exhaust on the bottom.....SO im not sure what to do....I know its getting water, but not sure why it aint coming out the top, I already took the rubber exhaust hose (the thing that water is supposed to come out of) and there was nothing stuck in there, clean. When I flashed a light in it, I just saw a metal V. Looked fine. I had no trouble getting the motor started now, new head gasket helped alot I guess...Took all of 15 seconds cold.

Secondly..... The exsaust leak isnt fixed. I dont think its coming from the lower section, im setting my focus to the power head gasket. I might try some gasket sealer around the edges, but I know thats just asking for it....Anybody pull the heads off on these motors? How long would it take?

I will take many pictures this after~

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If it is staying cool, the system must be working. Put all that thermostat stuff back in there, including the plastic check valve, it is necessary for the cooling system to work as intended. Now, as for it not discharging water out the exhaust relief, is it discharging any at all? With the thermostat closed, there should be a spray. Heavier spray when it is open. Look right above where the pleated rubber hose is clamped on. See that Welsh (core) plug? There are about five smallish holes behind it that the water goes through. Might be obstructed by debris.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Now, as for it not discharging water out the exhaust relief, is it discharging any at all? With the thermostat closed, there should be a spray. Heavier spray when it is open.

Look right above where the pleated rubber hose is clamped on. See that Welsh (core) plug? There are about five smallish holes behind it that the water goes through. Might be obstructed by debris.

Not sure what ou are refering to "Welsh (core) plug" and the five smalish holes? Where would these be near? Also the thermostat was OUT when I did the test, I will try with it in right now.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
If it is staying cool, the system must be working. Put all that thermostat stuff back in there, including the plastic check valve, it is necessary for the cooling system to work as intended. Now, as for it not discharging water out the exhaust relief, is it discharging any at all? With the thermostat closed, there should be a spray. Heavier spray when it is open. Look right above where the pleated rubber hose is clamped on. See that Welsh (core) plug? There are about five smallish holes behind it that the water goes through. Might be obstructed by debris.

Ok, my mistake.... I see what you mean by with it all in. When I was testing it I had the thermostat housing off and open, I just cranked the motor and it sprayed. With the thermostat in and the housing on I got very very little spray out of the exaust releif. Like not even droplets spray, very little..