1999 Johnson 70hp stalls when throttle is all the way back

nim713

Seaman Apprentice
I wondering if I can get some insight on my motor. I have all new lines, filter, and plugs. The carbs were just rebuilt and the mechanic synced everything. My motor will start right away everytime. Will idle good. I did start to notice around 2k rpms it sounds a little rough until i adjust trim. However when i advance the throttle just past neutral it will eventually stall out like its out of gas. Then putting it in neutral it will stall. Even when its good and warm. Any ideas on what it may be, possible power pack?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Id ring the mechanic and tell him/her they stuffed it.
Might be the fuel pump, try squeezing the primer ball while you start advancing the throttle and see if that ameliorates it

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Sounds more like a carb adjustment issue. Take it back to the mechanic.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
could be an issue with your gas (probably tuned on shop gas) -- maybe some contamination/water.

nim713

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

It was tuned on shop gas because he told me he ran out, so do you think its to lean? Plus shouldnt the throttle cam be touching the roller in a neutral position?

Attachments

• photo243274.jpg
    photo243274.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No , the roller does not / should not touch the cam in nuetral.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It was tuned on shop gas

A shop will use known good gas, properly mixed. If you then ran contaminated fuel through a rebuilt and adjusted carb, it will need to be taken apart again and cleaned.

Water in the fuel could give you the symptoms you describe. After the work was done, did you run only fresh, clean fuel? If in doubt -- particularly with a permanent tank -- draw a sample from the bottom, and let it settle out in a glass jar. Gas/oil mix will float on top of any water.