'67 V4 SportFour Electric NEWBIE

WillsPride

Seaman Apprentice
G'day All,
Putting my '68 Pride SS1500 Starfire in the water tomorrow for its' first on water test. What should I watch for when engine runs for the first time? Is the idle/wot mixture on these old engines adjustable 'on the fly' for best performance/economy? I'm an air cooled two stroke motorcycle person who knows nothing about outboards. My last one was a 2012 model 30 HP Etec PT&T. This one's a little different! All I know is the engine fires and idles...the seller fired it up to show it ran, but only for about 3 seconds as no water was connected. Thanks in advance. Will.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Make sure it is pumping water, shifting properly, etc. The motor has two idle mixture screws/knobs on the carburetor. Adjust for best idle quality once motor is warmed up and hood on (door closed). High speed mixture is by fixed jets and not adjustable.

WillsPride

Seaman Apprentice
Make sure it is pumping water, shifting properly, etc. The motor has two idle mixture screws/knobs on the carburetor. Adjust for best idle quality once motor is warmed up and hood on (door closed). High speed mixture is by fixed jets and not adjustable.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Much appreciated. :)