Quick questions; Lower unit gear oil, drain plug gaskets

urbanredneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Couple quickies.

87 Rude 40hp. E40ELCUD.

Just did gear oil swap on lower unit for the 1st time since I've owned it.

The OMC shop gave me 2 clear whitish washers for the drain/fill plugs.
The ones on my plugs were a black rubber type. Different. So, i didn't switch them out.

Was i given the wrong product, or are these clear ones an updated washer? Too late now. But would like to know for next time.

Also, i see people using 80-90w gear oils or similar. Do i have to use the high priced Evinrude Hi-Vis or IS there a safe equivalent?

Thanks guys.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
According to the factory parts list, your engine takes two of the white nylon washers, part number: 311598. I am familiar that some of the lower hp units take a different drain plug which uses a black oring instead of the white washer. Not many units take that type drain plug. I'd consult with your dealer. You should have the correct ones. It is possible that someone sold the prior owner the wrong drain plug (which uses the oring) and he's installed it in your engine. The HI-Vis is an old OMC oil, made for units produced 20 years ago. It is their base line gear oil. While it may work, I'd recommend upgrading to the HPF gear oil. It's made for today's upgraded gearsets.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Depends on the plugs. Some use the nylon washer, some use the rubber o-ring. You must use the correct one for the plug style. Both styles were used in that model, so no way of knowing which are in it till you look.

I suppose 80-90 is good, but I like the Hi-Vis better.

urbanredneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the replies gentleman.

So, good thing i didn't switch them then. If they had black gasket style o rings on em, they essentially were not the plugs that accept the white nylon ones.

Lets just hope the re used black ones hold up.

And yes Emdsapmgr, my motor is over 20 years old. Hence the use of the hi vis. I mean, it's not terribly expensive. The OMC shop just happens to be on the ss end of town. And i work in an auto shop, practically all the free gear oil i could want.

If i can get by with an auto gear oil of a specific weight, id like to.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Heh, once upon a time, I worked in a lawn mower shop. A co-worker had an old Packard car that burned oil like crazy. He saved and used oil that we drained out of lawn mowers. Yep, old black, gooey oil. He said that was perfect Packard oil.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The gears / bearings on your motor are not considered to be " robust "------So use a premium oil, the best you can get at your dealer.