1975 evinrude 115 115593 strange rubber binding noise when handcranking flywheel

jammer777

Seaman
hey guys just tearing down this old girl and about to take the flywheel off, have you guys heard this before when trying to hand rotate the engine? check out my video, it sounds like a rubber resistance, and it sounds like its coming from partway down the leg, what is that a bad water pump? and there is a fair bit of resistance when hand cranking not sure if there supposed to be, and i should mention that the plugs are out when trying to rotate the engine!

thanks guys for having a look!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
The video setting says private so i cant view it.
It could well be the impeller that is in the waterpump. It squeaks when turned and is about a third of the way up the leg.
Its lubricated by water when in normal use so you dont here a squeak then.
The squeak is why its important to never run the outboard when no water is going to the pump, that squeak is happeneng over 1000times a min when the engines going with no water- that equals heat, sound and a ruined pump

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Well, you're turning it backwards, so the impeller may be noisier. See the rope pull notches? Turn it clockwise instead.

jammer777

Seaman
Ill give it a shot here when i get home, i dont seem to recall being able to turn it clockwise with ease, only the direction in the video

thumbnut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The pump arms are set for the counter direction at the moment in the pump housing. When one rotates the wheel clockwise the arms will flip the other way and might take some effort to do that. One should not rotate the wheel opposite the natural direction or store it in the wrong direction.