115 Evinrude Timing Adjustment

spirtS niggeB

Seaman Apprentice
I've got my '76 115 Evinrude all gone through except for the timing. I am pretty sure it is not advancing as it should. I have the proper Clymer guide for this model and have read up on this procedure. Is there any way of getting around the use of a test prop? Does anyone have a good idea of what it might cost a shop to adjust the timing for me? I'll probably end up doing it myself if I can locate a test prop. Any advice would be highly appreciated as always.

Thanks,

spirtS niggeB

Seaman Apprentice
It idles a little high, but I should be able to get that taken care of no problem. I am concerned about WOT timing not advancing.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Push the throttle forward and see if the timer base is spinning until it hits the Max spark advance stop. There is a very reliable way to check the max advance, while on the flush muffs. PM me if you want the details.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
There is an excellent write up as to how to set max timing without running the engine under load. Check out the top thread on this page. It's a section in the "top secret" files. There is a section there as to how to estimate the max timing by doing the adjusting at an idle rpm. The problem with these crossflow ignition systems is that they develop more advanced timing, the higher the rpm's. The exact way is to measure it under load at 5000 rpm's. The estimated version would have you reduce the max timing by something like 4 degrees when running max timing at idle rpm's. Check it out.

spirtS niggeB

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all. emdsapmgr, you're speaking about the Joe Reeves WOT procedure that was posted by tashasdaddy?