Ran outboard without water

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone, I goofed and ran my 1990 150 hp V6 Evinrude without water for about a minute or two. I then hooked up the water muffs and it was still peeing and no alarms went off. The next day after work I ran it with water muffs for about a half an hour with no change, ( still peeing, no alarms, and the temp of water coming out was not hot still cool
Please tell me I lucked out and everything is probably okay. I am new to this and would appreciate anyone's answers.
How can I tell if something went wrong. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You now need ti install a waterpump repair kit !!------No point taking a chance here,-----The impeller has been damaged !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
And likely melted the plastic water pump housing also. You can tell when you get in there.

interalian

Commander
This pump came out of a '79 140 parts motor I bought and am in process of rebuidling its powerhead to fit to my '82 leg. The motor had a litany of problems stemming mostly from poor maintenance and lack of care. The deflector hoses were blocking water around #1, the thermostat housing was full of crud and the water pump looked like this. Oh, and the prior attempt at repair had the center journal bearing misaligned with the pin, cracking the bearing and pounding the snot out of the crank journal. Look at my "getting ready to work on the 140" post for all the gory details.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
This pump came out of a '79 140 parts motor I bought and am in process of rebuidling its powerhead to fit to my '82 leg. The motor had a litany of problems stemming mostly from poor maintenance and lack of care. The deflector hoses were blocking water around #1, the thermostat housing was full of crud and the water pump looked like this. Oh, and the prior attempt at repair had the center journal bearing misaligned with the pin, cracking the bearing and pounding the snot out of the crank journal. Look at my "getting ready to work on the 140" post for all the gory details.

Ouch!! Ok Ill check out your thread.

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Is there any way of telling before I go buy a kit. It's still peeing strong and no alarms have sounded. Even after a half an hour of running at idle.I have no problem installin another pump. I thought that's what the alarms are for.
Again I'm new to this and I'm just trying to learn

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Well for one thing, you are running the motor on a set of flush muffs. You are sending pressure into the motor to "help" the impeller along. Often times when an impeller goes bad, you won't realize it until you hit higher RPMS when the motor is begging for more cooling power. If you hear the alarm at 5000rpms, there is a good chance that the damage has already been done.

You say you ran the motor for a minute or two out out of the water. The impeller is damaged.

Spend the couple hours learning how to do the impeller yourself, pay the shop $300 to do it, or take it out for a full throttle run and risk a $4-6000 dollar rebuild. The choice is yours..............

fhhuber

Lieutenant
You dodged a major bullet.

Get the motor hot then add the muffs, pumping in cold water with hose pressure would be a good way to crack the block and heads. (you'd know it if you did...)

There is no good reason for your engine to not be trash.

Yes, you probably trashed the water pump and most likely the only reason water went through afterward was the pressure from the hose.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The OMC V4 and V6 impellers are extremely robust. Probably some of the best impellers in the industry. Even though you may still have some pumping action remaining-you have to change it. Why take a chance and run it, then risk potential engine damage and having to get towed back into the dock? It's a small expense that may avoid a larger expense later.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
The OMC V4 and V6 impellers are extremely robust. Probably some of the best impellers in the industry. Even though you may still have some pumping action remaining-you have to change it. Why take a chance and run it, then risk potential engine damage and having to get towed back into the dock? It's a small expense that may avoid a larger expense later.
Agreed

Fed

Commander
Let us know the condition of the old impeller (pic?) I bet it will be fine.