1993 evinrude 90hp fuel pump question

blz43c

Cadet
I have a 1993 90hp with vro removed. It was removed before i bought the boat and is much easier in my opinion to just mix gas and oil. The problem I am having is trash getting in the lower carb between the needle and seat. It has done it three times this year. I have replaced all fuel lines and fuel filters thinking they could have been the source of the trash. Took it out last weekend and the same thing happened again, would not idle but runs great at WOT. I realized it was flooding out. Tore the carbs off yesterday to inspect them and once again found trash in the lower carb. I decided to inspect the fuel pump and found that was the source of the trash(tiny pieces flaking off diaphragm). My question now is: Should I spend the money for a rebuild kit for the fuel pump or replace the pump with a new one that is a non oiler? I have heard that I can use one from an earlier 90hp before vro was introduced.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can install one from an 88 hp model---Same block as yours.------The spot to mount that pump is already there on the intake manifold.----Look near the starter for 2 holes with a plug ( pulse port ) inbetween.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does not matter !-----These motors were the same year after year.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You'll save a lot of $ by using the older 88 style pre-mix pump.

Last edited:

blz43c

Cadet
Will I still use the pulse limiter or will it need to be removed? I see there are two versions of the older style pump(two hose and three hose pump), does it matter which one I purchase? I know the two hose will bolt to the manifold and the other I can use the existing hose from the pulse limiter, will just have to find another place to bolt it up. I was looking at the pumps from maxrules.com(3 hose pump #8559, 2 hose pump #8556)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
It's easy for you to use the 3-port pump. The pulse port would connect to the existing hose that went to the pulse port on the VRO. Make sure you get the correct pump. Most look alike, but not all pump the same. 438559 is the correct/superceded part number for that engine.