1990 evinrude 150xp won't start

Csperling

Recruit
Got boat out of winterstorage a few weeks ago and it started right up 2 rotations! I had to take motor of to replace transom, in the process the motor got flipped on its back for a few seconds do to a failed strap, but it didn't hit only thing just hung backwards for a few seconds till I got it upright. I put it back on boat changed the spark plugs and now it pops once or twice that's it. It will not start! Any suggestions?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Could be any of the ignition components. Before you get into checking them all out, you might want to do a preliminary test. You need to know if the problem is with the engine, or with the control box/main cable. So, to test, unplug the red plug from the control box, inside the cowling. Then jump start the starter with a set of automotive cables. If the engine cranks normally and has good spark, then the problem is with the key switch or with the main control box wire harness. If it cranks normally and you still have no spark, then the problem is likely with the ignition system inside the cowling. Could be the stator, timer base or power pack. Keep in mind that engine has to crank at least 250 rpm's in order to fire the plugs.