electrical?

rpmdj1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1975 25 hrs evinrude what in the spark circuit might heat up and fail on this motor

rpmdj1

Seaman Apprentice
It will start and run but if you shut it down it will not start again

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't believe in guessing, but if I did I would suspect the driver coil under the flywheel. Have you checked the spark when it is warm and won't start?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That motor has the infamous OMC Lo-Tension Magneto that drives so many people bonkers. The #1 problem they give is breaker points. They must be clean, making absolutely good contact when closed, and gapped properly at .020" at widest opening. Even brand new points need to be cleaned.

rpmdj1

Seaman Apprentice
That motor has the infamous OMC Lo-Tension Magneto that drives so many people bonkers. The #1 problem they give is breaker points. They must be clean, making absolutely good contact when closed, and gapped properly at .020" at widest opening. Even brand new points need to be cleaned.
yes I'm fairlynsure its in that section of the motor I will clean and regap the points as for the coils and power pack how do you test them

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You can test the points with an ohmmeter to make sure they are clean. When I was working on those mtrs the points seemed to be what gave me the most problems.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think I would just start with a fresh set of condensers and points, and work from there. Dress and set the new points, and see what you have (jmo).