Brand New to me 1956 Johnson 30 Javelin, questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello iBoats!

My story: I bought a boat, trailer, and two outboards. Originally, I bought everything for just one of the outboards, an Evinrude 35, but the other outboard turned out to be a good condition RJE-18. I have no previous knowledge or experience with the older big twins, but have to say, this thing is really cool and a very 1950's. Now, I'm more interested in using the Javelin on my Starlite instead of the Evinrude. Where to begin?

I took the carb off and did a visual inspection over the engine and casing and have some questions. The engine spins freely and seems to have good compression, it has service marks on it, and the plugs look to be newer. It has been sitting out in the northern California sun for years, so the fuel lines are all rotten as are the vacuum hoses, no biggie. The choke solenoid's rubber boot broke and crumbled, and the piston came out of the coil when I removed it from the base of the carb. The watch-glass filter is in good shape and the filter is clean. There is no gunk in the bowl or visible throughout the carb. The float looks to be original(?) and the bowl gasket is broke.

The only obvious problem on the lower end is at the gear case which looks like the prop shaft seal looks to be leaking?

The wiring harness is also all rotted out so needs replacing.

So my plan, as it stands, is to rebuild the carb with a kit that includes a new float. I'm not sure how to approach the solenoid boot issue, maybe just replace the boot? I believe the boot just is to keep it clean around the coil and prevent dirt in with the piston. It didn't look like there were seals on the high and low speed needles, should there be? Finally pull and replace the prop shaft oil seal. Is it that easy? Or do I need to go further up to the pinion? After all that is there more I should look at before trying to fire it up? Points? Points and condensers?

I've included some pics for reference.

Thanks for any help! Nate

YfI8zY.jpg

Ghl8RN.jpg

glgs91.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't lose sleep over that boot. It doesn't even need one. Buy a carburetor repair kit from an Evinrude dealer. It will include a new float and all the other gaskets & packings. It might not have a new gasket for the glass bowl (?).

Check & refill the lower unit oil and do not worry about the seal till you get the rest of the motor operational and find out if the rest of it is ok. Plenty of time to reseal it later. And yes it has to come apart.

You can bet the farm that it has bad ignition coils. ALL Johnson motors that old do, unless they have already been replaced. Get new ones here at iboats. Get a new water pump impeller also.

Should have mentioned, check compression first of all to make sure you have something worth messing with.

Thanks for the link to the book Crosbyman, that is extremely helpful.

So checking compression first. I have no idea how the long the engine sat for, so, is there anything that I should do, BEFORE I try to turn it over with the starter? I'm thinking like put it on it's front and pour in a bit of 2cycle oil? I read 'Awakening a Sleeping Outboard' and that was it's only suggestion that seems to be relevent to this first step. What should the compression range be, I'm assuming, like most older engines and by the factory manual not listing it, it's better than 100+psi? If it shows low or no compression, is it something reasonable to repair, or is it scrap for parts?

I'm going to go lay it down and put in some of the oil through the plugs right now and swish them about.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those engines had compression ratios of about 5 to one. Don't be too concerned if the readings are in the 75 - 90 lb range.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
my experience level is limited to the usual do's and dont's..

I would just proceed with the usual carb, gearcase ,impeller maintenance , visual checks for anything missing, chaffed, broken,....... lubricate what needs it and fire it up with some BRP decarb product (engine cleaner) & a 24/1 mix of xd-100 (expensive but do not consume much anyway)

The experts on revivals can give your more specifics

and of course redo the electricals under the flywheel.. change the plug wires and make sure you twist them in the coils to make a good contact

Last edited:

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If your coils are junk, (casing is cracked) then you may as well put new condensers an points in too. But before you go too far, be sure to check compression. I bought a 25hp Johnson with low compression and it became a parts engine for the one I have now. My 1952 25hp Johnson had 120psi per cylinder when I bought it. As long as your cylinders compression readings aren't too different, it should be fine. If they are significantly different, you may have a stuck ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.