1984 Evinrude 35 HP - Changed Ignition Coil Packs, Now Won't Even Fire

stevenmurray1987

Seaman Apprentice
Symptom: Engine would start and run cold, but once I ran it a while.........it would not start back up. Engine has strong compression and is getting plenty of fuel. Seemed like an ignition issue, so I started by replacing the ignition coil packs. Yes, I probably should have learned how to properly test the coils to see if they were even bad, but I just went ahead and bought them.

I took care installing them, pretty simple as you know, but now the engine will not even attempt to fire off. Double checked part number and clarified I bought an OEM replacements. Double checked the wire harness connections and the plug wires, everything is correct.

Then a bit frustrated, I just put the old coils back on and it will start up, but nothing with the new coil packs. If the plug wires are reversed, the engine will backfire with new coils installed (I don't know if that tells you anything?)

Is this a timing issue? I have never adjusted it and it's all done manually, but would new coils and stronger spark accentuate a timing issue? Perhaps someone adjusted the timing to make up for weak coal/spark?

Thanks for reading and any insight is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo243102.png
    photo243102.png
    587 KB · Views: 0

stevenmurray1987

Seaman Apprentice
Seems like everyone is about as stumped as I am.

Would more information about anything help?

Fed

Commander
Put a spark tester on it to see what's going on. they're cheap and something you will use for the rest of your life.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
With an open air gap spark tester the spark should jump a 7/16" open gap.