69R25B This is weird... Wont run at WOT unless i shake the tiller handle violently

badlockjaw

Cadet
Its a 69 25hp Johnson. I just went through this and replaced condensers, fuel filter/pump, plug wires, and adjusted the points. It fires up and idles with zero issues. As I twist the throttle 1/8 turn it accelerates smooth as if everything is working purrfectly. As I continue to accelerate more up to half throttle, it'll run good and then all of a sudden bogs. Heres where I'm lost... If I get the boat going as fast as I can and it starts bogging, I'll shake the tiller handle back and forth and it comes alive. So at idle it runs good.....I give it wot........it accelerates up to a certain rpm then bogs......I shake handle......It comes alive but wants to bog when I stop shaking.... This problem is only at higher rpms....

sutor623

Rear Admiral
You did a lot of maintenance, but seems as you forgot one very vital piece. Cleaning the carb/carbs............. My guess is you have a slight blockage in a high speed jet and shaking it helps the fuel to overcome it???? Either way, thats where I would start.

That bogging at half throttle tells the story if you ask me.

badlockjaw

Cadet
Ok. I already went through the carb a couple times but maybe I missed something.. I'll clean it again today and test It out.... if that isn't solving the issue, could it be the coils

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
With the cowl off examine the wires, with motor off advance the throttle noting which wires are changing position. Shake engine like you do when you are trying to keep it running watching the wires. My guess is you have a short or open circuit as you advance the throttle

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Ok. I already went through the carb a couple times but maybe I missed something.. I'll clean it again today and test It out.... if that isn't solving the issue, could it be the coils

No, dont bother doing it again if you already did. You hadnt said in your previous post that you had cleaned it yet.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I vote for checking your plug wires. Possibly your kill button wires, too. Something that moves when the motor is shaken...

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Did you do a carb clean again or not? Maybe you should check your spark again? im not sure if you can run the motor on a tester, but that would be a sure way of telling if its a plug/wire problem. Everybody else, correct me if im wroung its just an idea. Could it be a bad carb jet or needle?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Only thing I can hear in the video is a load of wind noise