Cable Controls Housing Removal (Type 400)

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I ordered a new pair of type 400 control cables, old ones broke and no longer work. I look them out of the controls, and I got the cables alone. Now I have to get the end housings odd, no clue how this works. I messed with them for a little big earlier, got nothing. (that image is not mine, that is what im trying to get off.

Attachments

• photo243087.jpg
    photo243087.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 0

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
loosen both screws on the end of the cable barrel and pull cable out from other end

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Yep, there are set screws on the ends. They're either a slotted screw, or a recessed allen screw, depending on which ends you have.-

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Those are the wrong cables. Those are not serviceable and will not work in your control box... You need the Type 400 cables.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Those are the wrong cables. Those are not serviceable and will not work in your control box... You need the Type 400 cables.

These are the old cables, they came out of the shipmaster control box, I belive they are type 400. They worked on my motor for a little bit untill the steel wrapping around the cable snapped (rusted and old). The new cables are type 400, I dont think they come with the new end pieces

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There are two types of cables. Pre-1979 used "Long Life" (400) cables that come without the removable ends. 1979-up use "Snap in" cables (479) which come with the ends (not removable). The boxes are different, to accept the cable types.

So, first you have to figure out which box you have (according to the present cables), then buy the cables accordingly.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Okay, then you have the newer style control box and will need the newer style cables. I believe they're referred to as Type 479. You will need to spread the clip for the throttle side a bit to remove it from the old cable, and remove the T-pin from the shift side to transfer the knurled pin from the end.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I have already ordered the type 400 cables, so should I order new ends for it? the cable housings?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Now I'm getting confused. Those are 479 cables in your hand, but the end guides in the box don't look right to me. But to make you confused, there is a retro kit to use 400 cables in a '79-up box. I'm not real familiar with the kit because I always just used the correct cables.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Now I'm getting confused. Those are 479 cables in your hand, but the end guides in the box don't look right to me. But to make you confused, there is a retro kit to use 400 cables in a '79-up box. I'm not real familiar with the kit because I always just used the correct cables.

What is the diffrense between 479 and 400 cables?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
479 have the non-removable ends. 400 have just a bare wire sticking out the ends (until you install the removable ends).

The 400 cables I bought have the same end that is inserted into the control box. Just a wire on the otherside, so should I now buy the Inserts?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
As I said,you are getting me confused. 400 cables have a wire sticking out both ends. Always have had for 60 years, unless something is going on that I don't know about. I don't know what you have. You might have to run this thing by a dealer to figure it out in person.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
As I said,you are getting me confused. 400 cables have a wire sticking out both ends. Always have had for 60 years, unless something is going on that I don't know about. I don't know what you have. You might have to run this thing by a dealer to figure it out in person.

Bought it off ebay, im thinking a 400 box and some 479 cables? thats what I presume I have. Im ordering the 400 ends and il see what happends.