1956 Fleetwin 7.5 Cracked lower unit

gilgre74

Cadet
Good evening everyone! I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased my grandfather's boat from a family estate sale. I've never worked on outboards but I am a helicopter mechanic so I have a little mechanical ability. I am working on getting the 7.5 Fleetwin outboard running. The original plan was to replace the water pump, rebuild the carburetor, replace fuel lines, spark plugs, coils, etc. Today I removed the lower unit and replaced the water pump. I then went to replace the gear oil in the lower unit and found two cracks in the gear housing. My question is: Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement housing or any good ways to repair the one I have? Is there anything else I should look at while I have the gear housing apart? This motor has some sentimental value to me so I'm trying to do my best to get it running again.
IMG_0297.JPG

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You can repair that crack by either welding it or repairing it with Marine-Tex. Done it both ways. Pressure and vacuum check when done.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If you do want to replace it, know that the upper and lower parts are a matched set. You are not supposed to mix them up, but some people do and sometimes even get away with it. It shouldn't be hard to find a used one. Heck, I have a couple of them myself. Post a free want ad on the Classified ads forum at the Antique Outboard Club's website www.aomci.org

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
You may be able to weld it. Care should be taken to keep the housing from warping from heat. Also, the castings tend to be quite porous and will spit a bit as the 60 years worth of oil soaking gets heated out of the casting during welding. Your welder may curse you for it...

gilgre74

Cadet
Thanks guys. I ordered some Marine Tex and am going to try that first. If that doesn't hold I will get someone to weld it.

gilgre74

Cadet
Does anyone have a parts diagram for the lower unit on this engine? Model number is 7520.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here ya go....

Attachments

• photo243125.jpg
    photo243125.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 0