1963 Johnson 6 Gallon gas tank leaking at fuel connector

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I have a 1963 Johnson 18hp that came with the matching Johnson 6 Gallon gas tank. My troubles lie with the gas tank fuel connectors.

Recently I did the repair outlined here where you replace the o-rings inside of the fuel pins on the tank: http://www.oddjobmotors.com/tt4_singlelinetanks.htm

Even after that repair the tank is still leaking air and gas. The actual fuel connectors on the lines are brand new and are not leaking. The leak is coming from this pin

Im wondering what i'm doing wrong or if there is supposed to be an o ring or something like on the pin that is leaking because it has a recessed face. This is the only problem keeping me from fishing haha
-Ethan

F_R

Supreme Mariner
With the pin removed, stick a punch in the brass washer and rock it back and forth and lift it out. There you will see the wee o-ring. Use a hammer and screwdriver to stake the brass washer back in. BTW, there are two sizes of wee, according to the year it was built. I think you have the larger one.

Last edited:

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
Here's the fiche, in case the link doesn't work
Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 10.58.46 PM.png

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yes, #20. #19 is the brass washer, can be re-used. The Moderator might remove the picture.

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
Got the new o ring in the mail today, I took the old one out and it was loose. The new one fit tight and should be good. Thanks for your expertise F_R and raceone

Last edited: