1982 25 hp Johnson lower unit stuck

Hey folks, been lurking for a while and loving all the great help from the "forum king's" and now it's my turn with a problem. I've unbolted the 4 bolts + 1 on my lower unit and loosened the upper screw on the shift linkage connector and the lower unit will not budge. I hope the shaft isn't seized because I really need to change my water pump before she goes in the lake for the season. Any advise would be much appreciated, Cheers. IMG_2279labelled.jpg

Last edited:
I took out one of the screws (the top one) and still no movement, so I took out the bottom one as well and still the lower unit won't separate from the shaft housing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You only need to remove ONE screw on the connecter.-----If this motor has not been maintained then there is a good possibility of the driveshaft being rusted into the crankshaft.----Good luck with it.

That's Bad News with a capital B. Is there anyway to get into the head unit and apply some heat or penetrating oil? How much force would be too much force in trying to free this up? or should I be looking for a new unit altogether? Thanks for the unflinching advise, iboats is a great resource.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you have a gap try using wooden construction wedges one from each side. Gently hammer them in only use WOODEN wedges be careful not to break anything. Try this first grab the lower unit and see if it turns side to side should move a little. If it doesn't there is something else wrong.

Yeah, no movement no gap, even a few hits with a mallet and wood block did nothing, just like it where still bolted on.