1985 Johnson 6HP Prop Shaft

cruiserbill

Cadet
Hello everyone, first post here. I am rebuilding a J6RCOB 1985 Johnson 6hp lower unit. The lower unit was run out of lube and the pinion gear is toast. I am trying to remove the prop shaft, but it will not come out. I can turn it and it seems loose, but it will not budge to come out. Just wondering if anyone has experience getting it out. I attached some pics.

Thanks,

CB

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Does it turn within the gear, or does the gear turn with it? Judging by the rust elsewhere, I'd say the shaft has rusted into the gear. A shot of your favorite penetrating oil and brute force might be needed to get it apart. Placing the propshaft in a padded vice, and gentle persuasion on the housing with either a rubber mallet or a block of wood and a hammer might pop it free. Go easy with the hammers/mallets - it's a cast aluminum housing and they have been known to crack when too much force is applied...

cruiserbill

Cadet
Does it turn within the gear, or does the gear turn with it? Judging by the rust elsewhere, I'd say the shaft has rusted into the gear. A shot of your favorite penetrating oil and brute force might be needed to get it apart. Placing the propshaft in a padded vice, and gentle persuasion on the housing with either a rubber mallet or a block of wood and a hammer might pop it free. Go easy with the hammers/mallets - it's a cast aluminum housing and they have been known to crack when too much force is applied...

Thanks for the reply. The forward gear turns with it, but the pinion turns as it should, sort of, for being torn up so bad. I was considering that same method - using a padded vice and rubber mallet. I will spray it first though.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
After you check availability of parts and the price of parts , you will likely begin looking for a used unit on this !!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The propshaft should turn free of the forward gear - unless the clutch dog is engaging the gear. There is a flat bearing under the pinion, sandwiched between two thrust washer/races. Check those for wear, too...

cruiserbill

Cadet
OK, got the prop shaft out. Now to figure out how to get to gears out. The pinion is really bad. Ironically though, the bearings all seem to be OK so far. I have a Clymer manual, but it is the wrong years (1966-1984).

cruiserbill

Cadet
After you check availability of parts and the price of parts , you will likely begin looking for a used unit on this !!

I have been looking for one, but they are all just a bare housing, no guts in them. I priced everything out though and it comes in under $175. A good used one is a whole lot more than that.

cruiserbill

Cadet
Trying not to damage anything; can't seem to figure out how to get the pinion and forward gear out. Any advice here? Thx

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That lower unit was first used in 1980 so that manual you have covers it !-----But some of those after market manuals are best used to wipe up the shop floor.

cruiserbill

Cadet
That lower unit was first used in 1980 so that manual you have covers it !-----But some of those after market manuals are best used to wipe up the shop floor.

All this manual says though is: "Remove the forward and pinion gears from the gear case." That is it. Nothing telling how to do it. :confused: Also, this manual does not cover many aspects of this exact motor. They didn't start making it until 1985, so 1984 and earlier have many differences.

I did, however, find a real manual that gives instructions on how to remove the gears. It says to remove the propshaft, remove the pin and spring, then put the propshaft into the forward gear and using your hand "rap" it towards the cavitation plate to dislodge the forward gear and bearing. That makes sense to me, but I haven't got out to the shop yet today to try it.

I will let you know and thanks for the help here. I really appreciate it!! :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry , but that lower unit was offered in 1980 !------It was the 7.5 hp model.-----That had the exact same gearcase !

cruiserbill

Cadet
Sorry , but that lower unit was offered in 1980 !------It was the 7.5 hp model.-----That had the exact same gearcase !

Correct - I agree - however, even though it is the same gear case, my book doesn't show the newer model parts breakout; as a matter of fact, the 1-piece gear case it shows for the 4.5-15hp outboards is not what I have. I have the OMC parts catalog and some of the parts are very different from what they are showing. It is one of those that are useful for wiping up the floor with.

The other service manual I found has it all exactly so I am using it now. Not sure where Clymer went wrong on this, but it hasn't been very useful and frankly it has been a bit frustrating trying to figure it out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I repaired / resealed 3 of those units last winter.--Nothing to them and easy to work on.

cruiserbill

Cadet
I repaired / resealed 3 of those units last winter.--Nothing to them and easy to work on.

Thanks; to be honest I have never worked on one before. That is probably apparent, but I am mechanically inclined though. It is a simple set up and once you get to know how things work and go together they are easy to work on.