Help with identification of older 3HP Johnson outboard

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Just bought a stuck Johnson 3hp outboard for $5 and trying to ID what what year and model it is. The tag on the mount is missing and the only thing I can find is on the powerhead and it only has the Johnson logo and B017934. Tried a Google search but nothing even comes close to matching. New to boat motors and any help would be greatly appriciated!

IMG_2927.JPG

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Lets see a picture of the engine hood and entire engine. Most guys on here can tell ya by the color and decor on the hood.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It is a model JW-xx (the xx being the unknown) from the early 1960's. The tank decals will tell the rest of the story by someone better in the know. The number on the disc is the serial number. Made in Belgium, which was the norm at that time.

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Great! That helps a lot - gives me a starting point. Thanks so much for the info! Now just gotta get it unstuck and running!

lindy46

Captain
Try removing the plugs and positioning the cylinders pointing up, and pour some penetrating oil in and let it soak.

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
1st thing I did when I brought it home. I looked down in the cylinders and the top one had rust but didn't look too bad - I've seen worse on motorcycle engines I've worked on - but the bottom cylinder didn't look near as bad as the top. Figure I'll let it set for a week and see if that does the trick. According to the guy I bought it off of it had been gone thru right before he bought it and he only used it for a year before he swamped it so hopefully I won't have to do a lot mechanically to it. once I get it running I plan on a nice paint job and new decals! Once again thanks for the advice and help - all greatly appriciated!

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure that engine gets enough oil in the fuel. Starting in 1964 they claimed the 3 could run on 50:1 but that is risky a little. The 1963 & prior was designed to run on 24:1 and they didn't really change the motor much for 1964. Govern your actions accordingly.

The 3 horse had twin clamp screws through 1963, then switched to a single clamp screw 1964 through 67.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it was swamped and not properly recovered it might be scrap now.---Crankshaft may be rusted.----Motor may run for a while before it grinds to a " dynamic halt "

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Got it tore all the way down today and think I can save it - lucked out on the crank - no rust - actually looks really good! And both pistons are loose now but trying to figure out the best move to get them out without damaging anything. Top of the cylinder on one is rough but not pitted so I just need to clean it and hopefully they will slide out. Its in a lot better shape than what I expected so I think I might have gotten more than my $5 bought! Thanks for the onfo on the mix also - really don't want to do all this work and then screw it up!

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
No Title

Good job so far on saving that gem! Keep us informed of your progress. I have a 1959 3 hp Sea King, which is the same motor, just sold by Montgomery Ward. I use it a lot and it really has a lot of zip. The simplicity and self contained gas tank make it really handy. You will not regret the time your spending on it!

Attachments

• photo243081.jpg
    photo243081.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 0

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Good looking outfit - just makes me wanna get mine done! Got the pistons loose and out - no pitting in the bores! Really got lucky and found a brand new bore hone that I got from where I used to work that fit perfectly - a quick run thru and they look good as new. Pistons look good but the rings broke - rusted in just enough that they came out in pieces but scored 2 nos pairs on ebay for $50. Also figured out it had the wrong year carb on it and found one for $25 on ebay also. Can't wait to get it back together so I can use it on my 14 ft jon boat!

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
It will work on a 14 footer. Mine is pushing a vintage 14ft. Appleby- an old Missouri boat mfg. that later became Lowe- I think. It is narrow v-bottom that pushes real easy for the 3 hp. Keep up the momentum!
Dale

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Got the powerhead cleaned and sandblasted - already looks 100% better even without paint! Used my Dremel with a wire brush wheel and cleaned the ring grooves and then cleaned the pistons with white scotchbrite and WD40. Ordered all the gaskets and hope to have it together and ready for paint next weekend. Discovered the screen that goes between the silencer and carb is missing and having no luck finding one though - anyone know where one might be available?

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

lindy46

Captain
Place a free want-ad on AOMCI.org in their classified section. Someone will have one. Part number you need is 203320.

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Pistons back in and crankcase back together - everything spins nice and free! Carb kit on the way also. Better progress than I expected since I've never worked on a 2 stroke before. Now trying to figure out the best way to get the dents out of the fuel tank while I'm waiting on stuff to arrive!

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Now trying to figure out the best way to get the dents out of the fuel tank while I'm waiting on stuff to arrive!

I have a JW-20, almost the same motor. I cheated and just filled the dents with bondo; looks like new.

Spent a couple of days this week trolling around Lake Glendale in Pa with it. I like using a small gas motor better than an electric because with an extra container of gas you can run all day. I was getting about two hours of trolling and occasional higher speed running on less than a quart of gas.

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
I was talking to the guys at the local cycle shop when I picked up my Vulcan - she needed new tires - and was talking to him about that and he said to use a rod with a ball welded on the end to tap them out a little so I don't have to get too wild with the bondo - but I've also been told I'm too picky!....:D So that was my goverment project at work tonight. I'll give it a try next week after I get some of the powerhead painted and back together and the carb done. That's about what I'm gonna use mine for - get me where I need to go on the local reservoirs and then use the trolling motor. Also plan to fish Sandusky Bay with it too - won't go out on Lake Erie unless its really calm because its only a 14x36 jon boat.