Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin kills when put in gear

Erik1920

Recruit
I recently picked-up a 1969 Evinrude Sportwin, 9.5hp motor. The motor starts easily and idles great. It also will go into gear and run as long as I don't apply much gas to it. The problem is that once I increase the rpm's, by giving it some gas (turning the throttle anywhere from "start" and higher), the engine stalls. However, I have discovered that if I put it in gear then open the choke, I can then give it gas and it runs at the higher rpm's without any issues. I'm guessing I'm dealing with a carb problem but I'm not sure. I should also mention that I gave it new J6C plugs and a fresh tank of gas to rule those things out. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is there anything specific I should be looking at to fix the problem? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Open the low speed idle mixture 1/4 turn at a time and see what happens.

lindy46

Captain
It does sound like a carb problem, but if the motor is new to you, I'd also check compression and spark.

Erik1920

Recruit
I played with the low speed idle mixture for quite a while but no luck. Leaning towards bring it in to get serviced.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
tank vent working ? fuel pump ok ? carb clean ? all hoses good ? electricals adjusted ? points condenser coils etc...

it seems to be starving at higher rpms