1983 Johnson 60hp wont start

omcshawn

Cadet
Very odd story! Motor sat for over 8 years. Needed a new wiring harness, as wires were bad. Installed a new harness and it started up on the first try. Was very excited about that. However, motor would not shut off. Had to disconnect gas tank and let it run out. I was told I had a connection problem. I started with the kill switch wire (black with yellow) going into the Power Pack Connector. I found an issue!! New wire from wiring harness has a pin end on it that was not pushed through the power pack connector completely. So, I had no connection. Fixed that and put connector back together. Tried to start, and got nothing. Cranks, but wont start. After looking at several things, I noticed there was no clip and lanyard on the kill switch. Therefore, I assumed the kill switch was engaged now that the wiring was complete and fixed. I bought a new clip and lanyard for the kill switch. At this point I fully expected the motor to crank up again. Nothing. Like there is no spark. Getting gas for sure.
So, I went backwards and put stuff back to were it was when it started. Disconnected the wire to the kill switch, and removed the lanyard. Still nothing!!!! Why would it start on first try, and run. It ran well. Then cant get it to start again. Seems like no spark, maybe still kill switch issue. Why did this damn thing start up, and now nothing??
Please help if you can. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
FYI - Just realized that when the motor ran for 4 or 5 min. it was on straight gas, not mixed. Used wrong gas.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go back to square one and disconnect the black/yellow wire from the pack. If I starts then trouble shoot your wiring. If not you have motor probs.

omcshawn

Cadet
Is it possible that the plugs are fouled out? As I ran straight gas for about 5 min. Do you think I did any damage running on straight gas for short time? Please note that engine had storage/fogging oil in it from long storage.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You ran straight gas in a 2 strk you need to do a compression test. Your motor sat for 8 years so it was dry not a lot of lube in the motor. Then you ran straight gas into a dry bore nothing good as going to happen there. The fogging oil was not going to protect that motor after 8 yrs of sitting. Hopefully you got lucky but you need to do a compression test.

omcshawn

Cadet
When I took the old plugs out fogging oil came out of the hole. So, was not dry?? Yes, I am hoping I got lucky. I will do a compressing test. What should the compression be? Also, when engine ran for about 5 min it was at an idle. No high RMPs.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Empty your carbs by undoing the screws at the bottom of the fuel bulb and drain out the petrol and also pump through ne fuel flushing out the unoiled stuff.
If you are using a water hose adaptor I dont think it is damage from no oil causing it as you would have to of done big damage to both for it not to start .

Remember to operate choke on these start turning key and then press the key in.
These flood easy so go sparingly on it. Bump the choke now and again after it starts but wants to stall until its warm

And also relocate the telltale outlet to top of the motor. Critical on this engine.
I know as i have one

omcshawn

Cadet
Problem solved!! 1. New ignition switch, 2. New plugs (again), 3. Proper gas mix. Started right up on first try. Runs great!!
Thank you for all the feedback.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
not sure that 2-cyl '83 is one of the problem models (don't think it is). Think I would be inclined to leave it alone if working and cooling well, make sure the t.stat is functioning and bypass clear (want to do that anyway).

Bosunsmate

Admiral
not sure that 2-cyl '83 is one of the problem models (don't think it is). Think I would be inclined to leave it alone if working and cooling well, make sure the t.stat is functioning and bypass clear (want to do that anyway).
Yes it certainly is. Its my motor!
I changed everything on it, whole new waterpump, new poppet, thermostat, headgasket, cleaned out all the passages (shes a saltie) and the alarm would still go off at idle after about forty seconds. I then read about telltales and airlocks and so i relocated it to the top of the crankcase, took me about an hour, and ive never had an issue since
:watermelon::watermelon:

omcshawn

Cadet
Thank you for the info on the telltale issue. I will look into that soon. I am hoping to water text this boat in the lake next week. It will see water for the first time in 9 years!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Thank you for the info on the telltale issue. I will look into that soon. I am hoping to water text this boat in the lake next week. It will see water for the first time in 9 years!

It will be like shes never had time off but make sure that the telltales pumping water out of it before you let her run for more than twenty seconds. Often critters crawl up there and die blocking the tube so if you feed some wire up it will often fix it to peeing again.
After 9years your impeller will be likely shot, i say likely as ive never seen one 9 years old before.
The danger is that it self destructs sending plastic into the motor and overheating her.
I bet you didnt want to read all that but i figure for you its better than hearing it go bang

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No Title

Attachments

• photo214878.jpg
    photo214878.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214879.JPG
    photo214879.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Above is a photo of the telltale outlet moved to the top of mine, you can see the black tube that runs down the side of the motor from the top middle of the crankcase down towards the bottom cowl. I use the lifting eye to help hold it down as i didnt have a thread maker so i just drilled a hole and fitted high temp epoxy around the T outlet.
The electric thing behind it with the two wires was a temp sensor i also installed but i have since removed that as this telltale shift has worked ideally.

Last edited:

omcshawn

Cadet
Quick question Bosunsmate. I was just looking over the service notice you posted. It states it applies to Models 1986 (CD) - 1994 (ER) , 1987 (CU) - 1994 (ER), and 1989 (CE) -1994 (ER). Are we sure this applies to my motor 1983 J60ELCTB. It is not on that list?? Water does come out the telltale right when it starts.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The service bulletin was not for your motor. It was specifically for the 56-cube 3-cylnder models which had a very definite issue with air in the block. Your motor may or may not benefit from adding an top-mounted telltale as it is a different design altogether.

omcshawn

Cadet
Thanks again for the feedback!! I took this boat out on the lake today. It saw water for the first time in 10 years. Motor ran great, but I did go very easy on it, and only planned out two or three times, briefly. I may not have the telltale issue, but I am still concerned about the impeller. I am going to replace it, as the boat sat for 9 or 10 years. It does seem to be working fine, but water was very cold, and went very easy. This should be done, right?? Is it a big job. I just started looking it up. Thank you for any advice. By the way this motor is on a 15 foot Aluminum Starcraft. Wow, very fast, I never went past half throttle.