Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 not pumping water

glick

Cadet
Hello,

I have a Sportwin 9.5 that pumped water on its last outing about a month ago, but not now. I replaced the impeller and also the thermostat and it still doesn't pump water out. I pulled the thermostat and ran the engine and no water came out of the thermostat hole. I checked to make sure that the impeller was installed the right way, and from what I can tell it is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Are you running it on a boat, or in a container? Do you have it deep enough in the water? Water pump must be well submerged before starting motor.

glick

Cadet
I am running it in a container. I have it submerged to above the intake grate thing on the side above the cavitation plate.

glick

Cadet
Yes, the pin is in place! I may try submerging the lower unit in a bucket with the prop removed and rotating the drive shaft with a drill and see if the impeller is actually pumping water.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I am running it in a container. I have it submerged to above the intake grate thing on the side above the cavitation plate.
That is not deep enough!! The water pump is in the bulge above that. Bulge needs to be a couple of inches below water before starting.

redsrider

Cadet
I have a 9.5 1964 evinrude sportwin that is not pumping water. Can you tell me the impeller part number and how difficult is it to replace? Also any diagrams?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
4 screws to take out to drop lower unit.----Then operate shift lever to get enough room at the joint to take one screw out of the shift rod conecter.

glick

Cadet
That was my problem!! Thanks! Now on to replacing the starter rope for the second time this year. I need to use something better then 550 cord.