1979 Evinrude 6hp Starting problem

Ben From Ohio

Recruit
Hey folks. I have a '79 Evinrude 6hp (6904E) outboard I've been having a great deal of difficulty starting reliably. On the occasion that it starts, it will run great all day, 1 pull to start, etc. But then the next time you take the boat out, it won't start. It is definitely getting fuel to the carb, and if I dribble some gas into the opening by the choke, it will run until that gas is used up.

When I first got it, the float valve needle was stuck closed. I took the carb apart and cleaned it, and that seemed to do the trick for a little while, then the problem came back. Subsequent carb teardowns, though, I have not found that needle to be stuck. I have also bought a carb rebuild kit and replaced a number of o-rings and gaskets. It DID include a new float valve needle, but it was slightly longer than the original, and would not allow the float to move, so I kept the old one.

What can I do to try and get this thing to start reliably? I understand it is old and tired, and I don't expect a ton of power, etc, but I do need it to start and run consistently.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. I am mechanically inclined and can follow whatever directions are offered.

Thanks,

Ben from Ohio.

Last edited: