Ignition Switch Wiring

Ed7801

Recruit
If anyone can help me with a wiring diagram for ignition switch for a 1977 115 up johnson , it would be greatly appreciated

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Gave you a topic all your own. Posting in 7 year old threads never works if you want answers,

Are you replacing the switch with the same one as OEM or aftermarket?

Ed7801

Recruit
I'm replacing the same one...I just bought the boat a month ago and I was repainting the inside of the boat...had to remove the ignition switch and wires , now I need to reinstall the ignition switch and can't figure out where the wires go.

Ed7801

Recruit
I'm still having issues....I have 6 wires...1- black , 1-red , 1 - black with yellow stripe , 1- white and 2 purple wires...I've tried everything...or well at least everything I have been sent and what little bit I know.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
black with yellow is the kill circuit. it goes to the power pack.
Qhen key is off it grounds out and is an open circuit when on.
Black is ground
Red is battery positive
Purple and white im not sue, you might need to check what they turn up at at the engine. Purple might be the choke, that goes to the key terminal thats on when the key is pushed in
The other wires might be accessories.
One is often from the rectifier and is for a rpm gauge if you have one.

The way i do it is use a multimeter ($10) to find which points on the key switch act in the manner that matches what you want that wire to do

Ed7801

Recruit
Ok , so I have the ignition switch fixed...now if possible I need help with the shifter....the shifter isn't right....I need to know how to adjust it and also it won't idle in neutral...any and all help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you