78 Johnson 85HP Starter System Issue

Feret

Cadet
Hello All,

After having a running outboard when winterizing last year, I went to start the outboard for the first time this spring. I charged the battery then attached it to the power cables. I turned the key and all I got was a whirring noise. I opened the cowling and watched the starter as I turned the key again. Same whirring noise and then I saw that the starter gear assembly was not moving up and engaging the flywheel. I first went and bought a brand new battery and tried again, same response. I then bought a new starter, same response. I then attached jumper cables directly to the old starter which I had reattached to the outboard, the gear assembly moved up and engaged the flywheel but didn't have enough power to crank the motor then the jumper cables became hot to the touch.

My question now is, do I replace the Solenoid or do I replace the battery cables that were in rough looking condition?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take the starter apart for inspection / cleaning .---Cost no money and easy to do.

Feret

Cadet
I've taken the old starter apart as well and cleaned, but I also bought a brand new starter and have been having the same issue. There isn't enough power getting to the starter.

Feret

Cadet
Turns out that after buying a new starter, new starter solenoid, and new battery cables I had the same issue. I went back and cleaned all metal electrical connections with a steel file and bammo! my 1978 outboard fires up on the first shot. Now I know to clean connections better before spending money next time.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
We learn something new every day. :rolleyes:

Last edited: